Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [PSP]Release: PSPText Editor with IR Keyboard Support

DCEmu Legend

psp [PSP]Release: PSPText Editor with IR Keyboard Support

Background:

About a year ago, Agoln and DrPollo, were working and released (separately) an IR Keyboard Config/Driver program and a PSPTextEditor (called PSPTed). I, so enthused about the IR Keyboard bought it and gave Agoln's program a test run, and was amazed at how good it was.

Then I found PSPTed and immediately running it, contacted DrPollo(Source Forge name) to see about a joint venture, combining the two programs.

Well, a year later, I have finally held up my end of the deal (even though both parties ceased work on their respective programs).

Without further ado, I give you the readme:

Program Name: PSPTed with IR Keyboard Support
    Credits: Logan Buesching and Alberto Cuesta Caņada

It is with great pleasure that I am able to release this. I had almost thought that all hope was lost. But alas, I was able to find to the IR Keyboard program from the days of old and put it to use.

Something to note before continuing: I take NO credit for this release. All I did was butcher the code (of PSPTed, Alberto's work) to integrate the Keyboard driver with it. So both Logan and Alberto deserve ALL the credit for this, since it was their work originally.

I do, however, plan to make this better as time goes on. Perhaps with a file system and mouse cursor, but we'll see. If not this program has some use for people needing to take notes on the go and has as a built in Load and Save function from Logan's original keyboard driver.

*Equipment Needed*

-IR Keyboard. MP-0118 Micro Innovations Keyboard was what the driver was programmed for and was tested extensively by myself and Logan. Other keyboards MAY work or they MAY NOT work. However, if a keyboard does not work, contact me at [email protected] and I'll see about getting support for your keyboard.

*Installation* (Supports 1.50 only for the moment; 1.0 might work but not tested)

1)Copy KBINIT and KBINIT% to the PSP\Game folder

2)Copy PSPTedwIR and PSPTedwIR% to the PSP\Game folder

3)Run KBINIT and follow the instructions on-screen for setting up your keyboard. It will save a Keyboard Config file to the root of the memstick. Exit when done. It may not exit with the home button, if it doesn't just hold the power switch until the PSP turns off or remove the battery.

4)Run PSPTed w/ IR Keyboard Support and give it a whirl!

*Controls*

In PSPTed you can Save and Load a txt file to and from the root of the memory stick. The file is saved as "savedData.txt". These controls are actuated on the PSP.

O - Saves File
    ^ - Loads File

*Known Issues*

-Keyboard Init may hang on exit
    -PSPTed has no way to scroll down, change text lines (without hitting enter) or navigate through lines of text or across a line of text.

*Disclaimer*

You, the user, assumes all liability with using this program. It is safe, but heaven forbid, your PSP should blow up before, during or after using this program, it is not Logan's, Alberto's or my responsibility. Consider yourself warned

TODO:

- Add UP,Down,Left,Right support on keyboard
    - Add scrolling and movement along and between lines of text
    - Add more advanced Save and Load feature

Things to Dream About:

- A mouse cursor for instant line changes and highlighting
    - Copy & Paste
    - Change font color

*Bugs*

If you find any bugs, please post them here, or direct them to my email @ [email protected]

Insofar, the only bug I know is that KBinit does not exit properly and will need the battery to be removed.

Do not contact Agoln of DrPollo with support/bugs.

*Disclaimer (here it is again, in case you missed it)

You, the user, assumes all liability with using this program. It is safe, but heaven forbid, your PSP should blow up before, during or after using this program, it is not Logan's(Agoln), Alberto's(DrPollo) or my responsibility. Consider yourself warned.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

cool. i want a wireless keyboard now. you should see about getting this implemented with a homebrew web browser. that would rock!!!

DCEmu Legend

I need testers with IR keyboards to give this program a shot. If it works with a great number of keyboards then it will be more feasible to have it integrated into other homebrew.

Who knows, maybe RAF and team will see this and introduce it into Links

DCEmu Pro

i needed this so bad!!! yesterday!!

DCEmu Newbie

Default cool

really nice app.

DCEmu Newbie

This sounds really cool.

The IR port on the PSP is on the top. Are there any problems using this keyboard with the psp? If you were sitting infront of a wall I don't see a problem but say there was nothing in front of you for the IR to bounce off.

If not then I'll get one.

Ok, I see there's a reflector that extends above the psp so no problems

DCEmu Legend

My Pocketop came with a PDA stand, which has a chromatic plastic piece for reflecting the IR signal. This works great with the PSP as well, but takes some messing around with to get perfect.

Agoln had mentioned implementing code for turning the image on the PSP upside down (so that when you turn the PSP upside down the so the IR port faces the keyboard, the screen will appear right side up). I saw no code in his work doing this.

I will work on that next in fact, since its not too difficult to implement and will work wonders for the app's usability.

If you get a keyboard, I'd suggest getting the Pocketop, since I know that works. But if you want to get another one to test it, be my guest, but I cannot assure that it will work.

now all they need to do is use it on a devhooked psp web browser

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark
    Agoln had mentioned implementing code for turning the image on the PSP upside down (so that when you turn the PSP upside down the so the IR port faces the keyboard, the screen will appear right side up). I saw no code in his work doing this.

I will work on that next in fact, since its not too difficult to implement and will work wonders for the app's usability.
    This is such a wicked application! (may have to invest in an IR keyboard now I have a reason)

I was wondering about the sensor location too but flipping the screen is a great idea (an obvious solution that I didnt think of!)

Keep working on this and who knows what applications will follow!? Superb work

time for me to dig up my old dusty keyboards...lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information