Thread: PlayStation3™ reservation list for Japanese consoles, accessories and games now open

Blog Entries

ps3 PlayStation3™ reservation list for Japanese consoles, accessories and games now open

News from Play Asia:

It's just a little more than a month from now until Sony's next generation system PlayStation3™ will be released in Japan.

Just as we did with the Nintendo™ Wii before, we have now also opened up a reservation list for those who wish to be among the first ones to play with Sony's new toy.

Want to add your name into our waiting list? You don't even need to put down a deposit or even enter your credit card details! Got your attention? Good. Read through the following lines, which explain how it all works and also gives you some additional details about the PlayStation3™ launch.

PlayStation3™ Hardware lineup

PlayStation3™ Console (HDD 60GB Model)
    PlayStation3™ Console (HDD 20GB Model)
    PS3 Wireless Controller (SIXAXIS)
    PS3 Memory Card Adapter
    PS3 BD Remote Control

Please note that the PS3 BD Remote Control is not a launch date accessory. We expect more accessories to be announced during the next couple of days and weeks. Also based on pictures we have seen so far, we anticipate the PlayStation2™ component cable (Third Party model also available) to be compatible with the PS3™.

20GB or 60GB model? Which is the right choice for me?

After Sony's TGS2006 clarifiation that both PS3™ models will be equipped with HDMI out as standard, the 20GB model appears to have become an interesting purchase alternative to the bigger 60GB model.

Apart from the harddrive space, there are still a few differences between both models. An excellent comparison sheet can be found on Sony's official website.

Preorders at Play-Asia.com are currently standing at approx. 77% : 23% in favor of the larger 60GB model.

PlayStation3™ software lineup:

The following titles have been announced so far to be released within 2006. Pricing for PS3™ software appears to range between JPY 5,800 to JPY 7,800, which means that most games at Play-Asia.com are not expected to be more expensive than PlayStation2™ software titles.

Armored Core 4
    Fatal Inertia
    Formula One Championship
    Genji: Kamui Souran / Genji: Days of the Blade
    Gran Turismo HD
    Mahjong Kakutou Club
    Mahjong Taikai IV
    Miyasato Miyoshi Kyoudai Naizou: Sega Golf Club
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight
    MotorStorm
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    Ridge Racer 7
    Sonic The Hedgehog

Please remember that all release dates are subject to change without prior notice. Based on our experience, it's likely for some titles to be pushed back passed their original release date.

PlayStation3™ region compatibility

Based on numerous statements made by Sony officials (the last one by Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison), there appears to be a chance that PlayStation3™ software might be region free. In other words, games from all territories might run on any PS3™ system bought anywhere in the world.

While Play-Asia.com surely welcomes such a move, we would like to warn every gamer that such information cannot be taken as a gaurantee until either the release of consoles & games or until an official press statement has been made.

We will be sure to post an update upon availability of the first PlayStation3™ consoles and games.

Play-Asia.com PlayStation3™ reservation list

Play-Asia.com has opened a non-binding reservation list for the Japanese PlayStation3™ console, acessories and all launch titles. Now you have the chance to put your name in our reservation list and be among the first to play a PS3™.

All PlayStation3™ preorders are subject to the following conditions:
    Non-binding: Your PlayStation3™ preorder is absolutely non-binding and can be cancelled or modified at any time.
    No money down: To put your name in our reservation list, you neither have to make a deposit, nor have to enter your credit card details.
    No price confirmation: Play-Asia.com import pricing on all PS3™ related products will be announced on or before official launch of the console. Once again, your order is non-binding and can be cancelled at any time.
    No supply guarantee: As is common for any new import hardware, Play-Asia.com does not provide any guarantee on final supply and shipping date.
    Quantity limitation: Every customer is only able to make reservation for ONE PlayStation3™ console.
    Further limitation: Your PlayStation3™ preorder cannot be mixed with any other items than PS3™ console, accessories or games.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Now as launch details and prices have been confirmed, why does Play-Asia not take regular preorders at retail price?

A: Play-Asia's buying price on import hardware and software is always depending on market supply and demand. From our experience, especially new hardware is often not available in sufficient supply (see NDS, NDS Lite, PSP, PS2 launch, etc.). Distributors and wholesalers will decide their price on launch date, depending on the market situation. Therefore it's impossible for companies like Play-Asia to confirm a price prior release.

Q: How does the preorder process work? Do I have to pay any deposit?

A: All PlayStation3™ preorders at Play-Asia.com are non-binding and can be modified at any time. You won't be required to pay a deposit or to enter your credit card details. On or a few days before launch, you will receive another e-mail from Play-Asia.com with pricing and shipping details. At that time, you can either reconfirm, modify or cancel your order.

Q: What happens if the launch lineup changes? Can I modify my order?

A: Yes, you will have the chance to modify or cancel your preorder at any time.

Q: When will my PlayStation3™ preorder ship?

A: Play-Asia.com will update all customers on pricing and supply situation on or before official launch date. Depending on your preorder position and supply situation, we will process all preorder at first come, first served basis. The earlier you have preordered, the higher your chance for a quick order processing.

Q: Are there any order limitations? Can I preorder as many consoles and games as a like?

A: To serve as many customers as possible, there's a preorder limitation of ONE PS3™ console per customer. Limitations on accessory and software depend on each individual title and will be displayed during checkout of your order. Please also note that your PlayStation3™ preorder cannot be mixed with any "non-PS3™" related items.

Q: What are the differences between both PS3™ models (20GB/60GB)?

Apart from the harddrive space, there are still a few differences between both models. An excellent comparison sheet can be found on Sony's official website.

Q: Can the PlayStation3™ play PlayStation™ and PlayStation2™ games?

A: Yes, it has been confirmed that the PS3™ can also play back PlayStation™ and PlayStation2™ software titles. However, no information is available on region lockout. We assume that Japanese PlayStation3™ consoles can only play NTSC/J encoded PS™ and PS2™ games

Q: Will you take preorders for the US version PlayStation3™ console and games?:

A: At the moment, we have only opened orders for Japanese version consoles, games and accessories. We will be looking into the possibility to offer US version PS3™ items in the near future. In such case, you will always be able to switch your preorder to any other available version later on.

Q: Can I play US or PAL PS3™ games on the Japanese PS3™?

Based on numerous statements made by Sony officials (the last one by Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison), there appears to be a chance that PlayStation3™ software will be region free. In other words, games from all territories might run on any PS3™ system bought anywhere in the world.

While Play-Asia.com surely welcomes such a move, we would like to warn every gamer that such information cannot be taken as a gaurantee until either the release of consoles & games or until an official press statement has been made.

Play-Asia.com recommends every gamer to assume that Japanese PS3™ games can only be played on Japanese PS3™ consoles and to make their purchase decision accordingly.

I got onto the list. That makes it three preorders for me now. I hope I can make it four tomorrow if my mom permits it . I have one from successhk, one from play asia, one from FYE, and tomorrow I am going to try for somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by mavsman4457
    I got onto the list. That makes it three preorders for me now. I hope I can make it four tomorrow if my mom permits it . I have one from successhk, one from play asia, one from FYE, and tomorrow I am going to try for somewhere else.
    Wow dude, you're getting one for sure!

Thread Information