Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] news about Psx-P

i agree with you Jairolas, but then again for the legality sake of everything maybe wraggster should go through the list o' hombrew and see what programs violate the GPL.

Dream Coder

Actually, I already made a partial list and posted it in staff. It was for the most part ignored.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by quzar
    Actually, I already made a partial list and posted it in staff. It was for the most part ignored.

How many were in violation? Ballpark figure?

Dream Coder

I went through the psp emulation section in alphabeticall order and of the ones I checked (maybe 20ish) about half were. There were also 3 that had the bios packed in (that I was able to get fixed, but had to do it my self).

I'd say that at least for the psp section the 1/2 estimate would be pretty good. I'm fairly certain it's lower for the gp32/x and I wouldn't know about the DS.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by quzar
    I went through the psp emulation section in alphabeticall order and of the ones I checked (maybe 20ish) about half were. There were also 3 that had the bios packed in (that I was able to get fixed, but had to do it my self).

I'd say that at least for the psp section the 1/2 estimate would be pretty good. I'm fairly certain it's lower for the gp32/x and I wouldn't know about the DS.
    Did those emulators simply have no source packaged, or no copying/contact information for getting it either?

If the former is true then I think that is a failing on DCEmu's part, not the original author's.

If the latter is true.. for half of all PSP emulators.. that's just a disgrace. You would think most people who ported things were familiar enough with the GPL to get it right. However I know Zx-81 complies with the GPL okay, and he alone is responsible for a ton of PSP emulators. Does that mean almost everyone else doesn't?

About PMF's build, it should just be removed as well; even if there's source somewhere I have no idea where and the zip doesn't say (it contains no documentation whatsoever, just like PSX-P). No one cares about it anyway, and the website doesn't even have it up for download.

I agree though, how can you argue that these other emulators are at fault when you don't do anything to try to correct yours? Most of those emulators haven't been nearly as hyped as PSX-P (in fact, I'm certain none of them have been or they would have received the same negative attention) and haven't gotten the kind of initial feedback either, so they managed to slip through the cracks. In this case people affiliated with the original code, including actual authors, spoke up asking for the source and you still ignored them.

But I imagine that the source for the released beta doesn't even exist intact anymore. So it should just be pulled down everywhere and you should get over it. It's not like anyone's seriously using it anyway. If you were serious about this you'd nag Yoshihiro to release a version NOW with the source, and request that the previous one be taken down.

hmm...id like to know exactly what emulators are violating the GPL.
    what does the GPL require anyways? that the source be available, or that it be included with the packaging? or just simply available upon request?

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

just simply available upon request, the offer to give it should be including with the release

Dream Coder

Technically DCEmu should also host all the sources, regardless of the format that the author decides to do it (request or hosted). Of the ones I looked at I checked to see if the original author made any sort of hint at the availibility of sources. Only about 3 or so of the 20 had no contact, but the others would state what it is a port of or say it uses something or another, but simply not have released source. (at least not on their own pages).

DCEmu Old Pro

the thing i find so retarded is your guys little fight over something like this gpl thing first of all these are my views it will be insulting but they must be said!

First of all wtf is up with you gpl losers some used your source or your code which took you like 5 hours and then the person said hey hey i made this. WTF IS THE POINT YOU HAD YOUR TIME WITH THE CODE AND THE PERSON USED IT TO MAKE HIS THING AND SAID IT WAS HIS! YOU WERE NOT PART OF THAT PROJECT WHICH WAS MADE THOUGH THE INFO YOU HAD WAS A CONTRIBUTOR? DUDES PEOPLE TAKE THE INFORMATION OFF THE INTERNET WHICH PEOPLE WHO MADE THE WHOLE DAMN ARTICLE AND THEN PROBABLY YOU TOOK IT PUT IT INTO YOUR HOMEWORK AND SAID HEY IT WAS THEIRS, HECK IF SOME ONE TOOK MY BLUEPRINTS TO MY CAR AND THEN MADE IT A BETTER CAR I WOULDN'T GIVE A DAMN IF HE SAID IT WAS HIS, IF ITS WORTHY OF NOTICE THEN DAMN! ITS COOL WITH ME!. sorry for such kiddy examples but heck i cant think of any

this goes the same way for this emu WTF IS SO HARD ABOUT RELEASING A SOURCE CODE? WHAT IS SO BAD? WOULDN'T YOU LIKE SOMEONE TO WORK ON YOUR AWESOME EMULATOR? THAT WOULD BE COOL AND YOU WOULD'VE STILL HAVE CREDIT FOR MAKING THE EMU! WTF IS SO HARD ABOUT RELEASING THE SOURCE? DOES IT HURT YOU IN ANYWAY? DOES IT BRING DOWN YOUR EMULATORS PROGRESS IN ANYWAY? NOT THE WAY I SEE IT STOP BEING DAMN GREEDY JUST RELEASE THE SOURCE AND KEEP GOING THATS WHY THIS BS WOULDN'T BREAK OUT!.

my respects to all coders for making this psp into a wonder machine but seriously if we have this bs were all going down the drain....

this may have been to insulting to persons and i am sorry if it is

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

DCEmu should also host all the sources
    that is not correct, technically we only have to offer give the sources, via any means we want ( http download, ftp download, email, snail mail! If you want to get technical about it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information