Capcom has insisted that "Mega Man is a key brand for Capcom and will remain so" despite the publisher having cancelled two games starring its mascot.
Speaking to Game Informer, senior VP of strategic planning and business development Christian Svensson said that Mega Man was still very much in Capcom's thoughts despite the publisher having halted development of Mega Man Legends 3 for 3DS and downloadable title Mega Man Universe.
"Change has been a constant during my six years at Capcom but I want to be crystal clear on this point," he said. "Mega Man is a key brand for Capcom and will remain so. I don't have any products we've announced publically...but there are top men within Capcom thinking about the future of the brand and where it's going. We will have official announcements in due course."
The cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3 drew particular ire from fans after Capcom invited them to be part of the development process. "Unfortunately there are times [when] we have to make decisions that don't make sense to the community and the fallout, while understandable, is regrettable," Svensson said. "Our relationships with fans are extremely important and I know we've got some that are disenfranchised right now.
"Unfortunately, in this situation, there is no panacea. It's going to take time to rebuild those bridges. Product cycles are long and it'll be a little while until fans can see the light at the end of the tunnel...I can only ask for people's patience."
Meanwhile, Andriasang reports that Capcom Japan has announced an iOS release of Mega Man X, first released for the SNES in 1993.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/capcom-...tment-mega-man