Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSP second place behind iPod

Blog Entries

psp PSP second place behind iPod

Via PSPFanboy

Everyone wants to compete with the iPod, but only one company has been successful at getting close to the iPod's dominance as a personal media player (PMP). No, it's not Microsoft. It's Sony. People have criticized Sony for failing to capitalize on personal media like Apple has, but many forget that the PSP is not just a games machine, but a PMP as well. According to MP3newswire.net, the PSP is in second place in the competitive PMP market, selling one system per every 2.3 iPods sold. Considering how people seem to buy iPods by the dozen, we can deduce that PSP sales are quite brisk.

With a beautiful, large widescreen, and the ability to do so many other things (games, internet, etc.), the PSP is easily the best PMP out there. Yes, some may argue that Memory Sticks are expensive, but with recent price drops, that argument simply doesn't hold too much weight to it.

whooaa!! nice news dude! i knew that someday ppl would catch up on the psp

Cool to know. Makes me feel all fuzzy inside!

too bad some people aren't intelligent enough to know how to put music on it :P

DCEmu Newbie

I PSP is sold for every 2.3 iPods? I thought the sales figures were WAY lower than that... but that is good to hear.

And yeah, I do use my PSP more for music/video than games. It is a great media player.

Why is there some unique competition between iPods and PSPs?
    PSPs are primarily for playing games and the memory sticks are nowhere near the size of the average iPod hard drive. My mom's iPod holds thirty gigabytes, almost the size of my PC's hard drive, while the biggest memory stick for the PSP is 4 gigabytes (until the 8 gigabyte stick is released).
    Point is, they have completely different primary functions and prices. It's cool that the PSP can double as an MP3 player, but if you only want music, an iPod is cheaper, smaller and holds more.

Those stats r surprisingly good considering the fact that I c dozens of ipods everyday and only my psp. Some friends I have r bored of the psp. I dont c how but they r and i c them more with their ipods than their psp's. I guess most people only think that the psp can play games. Only two of the many people I know that have a psp know how to put videos on. If the public knows more about the endless possibilities than it would be guarunteed that the PSP will be far ahead of the ipod.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadus
    Why is there some unique competition between iPods and PSPs?
    PSPs are primarily for playing games and the memory sticks are nowhere near the size of the average iPod hard drive.
    Primarily for games may be why you bought a PSP, but it isn't the reason I did.
    When I considered the purchase, I weighed the pros and cons between the PSP, the iPod and a couple of other PMPs. The Nintendo DS wasn't on my radar, though I once thought I might get a GBA.

Not being the type to carry around a purse or a backpack, carrying multiple devices to suit each need wasn't practical.
    The iPod has enormous storage space in it's favor, but a small screen for video (that may've changed recently), and video playback greatly shortened battery life, from what I've read. There was a rival PMP who's name and make I don't recall (Archos?), but eventually my choice was between that one and the PSP because of the better screen and battery life.
    I probably spend as much time if not more, watching wu-xia (flying kung fu) tv dramas (currently on Twin Of Brothers episode 21) as I do playing games and listening to DRM free MP3s, however when it came down to it, the ability to play GTA on the go, was what edged me towards the PSP.

If all it did was play games at that price, I'd have never bought it.

It's cool that the PSP can double as an MP3 player, but if you only want music, an iPod is cheaper, smaller and holds more.
    That part I agree with, IF you only want music.

And?
    You said you watched videos more than you listened to music. Well, the iPod is for music.
    When people look at the iPod and then they look at the PSP, they'll think of the PSP primarily as a video game player, which probably won't be what they want if they want a music player. So, they'll get the iPod, because they want music. It's not about what you do with your PSP, or what I do with my PSP, it's about what someone wants in their expensive portable electronic device.

I know one thing, I'm tired of my lame friends trying to put down my PSP because their Ipod has 60GB of space. Then when I ask them how many songs they have it's usually 50-200 and they only listen to about 30 of them.

I don't see what's so great about the Ipod, and I refuse to buy anything made by Apple, especially after seeing their "Mac vs. PC" television ads.

Point is, I like my PSP, it does what I need and then some, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information