Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you use VB to make DC games or any games?

Default Can you use VB to make DC games or any games?

If there is an issue with it can you use VB in conjuction with Windows CE?

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

Well, one, unless you have a license from Microsoft, you aren't allowed to use the Windows CE Devkit (Windows CE is not on the Dreamcast itself, its just an option that some game developers used).

Second, I'm pretty sure there's no way to even use VB in conjunction with that Windows CE devkit (I can't know for sure, since I've never actually used/seen it).

Also, this is probably better suited for the Dreamcast Development forum anyway....
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

why cant u use it in conjuction? cant u make it on a pc then port it?

Quote Originally Posted by ßüboni¢ $oñic
    why cant u use it in conjuction? cant u make it on a pc then port it?
    BECAUSE THE WINCE DEVKIT IS WAREZ. Unless somebody wrote a VB compiler for DC (which is quite frankly not worth the effort), you won't be able to release any homebrew written in VB.

You've been told this so many times, not to mention other warez related crap, I seriously hope you get banned.

BlackAura is working a a Basic compiler (I haven't heard anything about it in awhile as he's most likely busy with school or GenesisPlus).

It's not VB but it's Basic. Can't be too different I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by fackue
    BlackAura is working a a Basic compiler (I haven't heard anything about it in awhile as he's most likely busy with school or GenesisPlus).

It's not VB but it's Basic. Can't be too different I don't think.
    VB is easier.

Not by too much, I took a look at the source to Selfboot and Selfboot Inducer which are programed in Basic. The only thing that I noticed was different mostly was that you needed to program the GUI yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by fackue
    Not by too much, I took a look at the source to Selfboot and Selfboot Inducer which are programed in Basic. The only thing that I noticed was different mostly was that you needed to program the GUI yourself.
    That's still easier than BASIC.

BASIC is console-only, and has been around for at least 30 years. It is also extremely limited. I'd go into more detail, but I'd be late for my 8AM english class.

Dream Coder

VB is nothing like BASIC. I know both. VB is more like java than it is BASIC. Either way, what BA was looking into writing an interpreter for a BASIC derivative, almost all of which are much much more powerful than BASIC.

If you've ever written a program in both, it is obvious why they are different (mostly because of the reasons you would use each). VB is designed entirely to be used for rapid application development, and the whole system is made to be put together gui-backwards. Being as such, the language is event driven, where you put the visual objects first, then define the events linked to them later.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by quzar
    VB is nothing like BASIC. I know both. VB is more like java than it is BASIC. Either way, what BA was looking into writing an interpreter for a BASIC derivative, almost all of which are much much more powerful than BASIC.

If you've ever written a program in both, it is obvious why they are different (mostly because of the reasons you would use each). VB is designed entirely to be used for rapid application development, and the whole system is made to be put together gui-backwards. Being as such, the language is event driven, where you put the visual objects first, then define the events linked to them later.
    Exactly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information