Thread: Kutaragi on whether PS3 will outsell 360 and Wii

Blog Entries

ps3 Kutaragi on whether PS3 will outsell 360 and Wii

SCE boss Ken Kutaragi has always been a bit outspoken, but even Sony's new, officially sanctioned Three Speech blog was a bit taken aback by his latest outburst - when quizzed about whether PlayStation 3 would outsell Xbox 360 and Wii, he simply said, "We don't care."

The blog picks it up: "We spoke to Sony about this response, as it seemed a pretty ballsy statement to make, especially in light of how they're being perceived (arrogant, out of touch, losing the battle etc.) by press and consumers alike at the moment.

"They told us that what Ken will have meant is that, while they have a great deal of respect for the 'competition', they have always worked to their own business plan. In essence, regardless of what anyone else does, they'll be sticking to their original plan where PS3 is concerned and won't be changing things, just because company A does this, or company B does that."

Although it's possible, of course, that he just really doesn't care. He certainly seems bemused by all the negative press. When asked about it, he said, "It always happens."

"When we released the PlayStation and even the PlayStation 2, I didn't see any favourable articles," he told Three Speech. "Press coverage always said: 'PlayStation will fail,' or: 'We have lost our momentum,' and blah blah blah. But we have lots of passion and confidence in both the PlayStation 3 hardware, and the software titles being produced for it."

Ken Kutaragi is pretty damn cool. I just imagine this mad japanese stoner genius god type figure who knows that whatever he does will be the right thing. I dont think the PS3 will fail, but I sure reckon sony will have to pull the finger out of the baby if is to sell loads of units.

Nowhere and everywhere at the same time...

Why should he care? he knows that all & any sony fanboy (including myself, although i like nintendo too) will buy one, and that alone will make them reach evens. they know xbox 360 is just as expensive, its just that they sell the "bits & bobs seperately(hd dvd drive etc). If anyone at sony cares itll be their financial manager

DCEmu Regular

He says that he never saw any favorable articles about the ps2, huh? I disagree. The ps2 was a massive ball of hype. Everyone I knew, including myself, thought that it would be the greatest console in history. There was no limit to the ps2's power in the public eye; plus it would become many people's first dvd players.

One of my favorite consoles, the dreamcast, was killed prematurely, some would say, simply by the hype surrounding the ps2. People weren't buying dreamcasts because they expected that the ps2 would be so much better. (Mind, you, that the ps2 was technically superior to the dreamcast, but not so superior that the DC deserved its fate).

Sure, the ps2 had its naysayers, but their vioces were drowned out by the great hype machines of sony. Where is that hype machine today, I ask? The x360 has been compared to the dreamcast in its position at this point in the console war, but where are the blinded masses now? Can not sony's hype machine smother them as well? The ps3 is not out yet, but people are already cool-headedly comparing it to the x360 as a near match in power. Why is sony not riding a wave of glory? I'll tell you, Kutaragi. The game media will not automatically favor sony unless sony excercises good public relations. Arrogance will not sway public confidence in sony's corner. Propogandize, sony. Do as you have done before. Lie, sony. It shall gain you sales; as it did with the ps2 years ago.

A certain hare once suffered an embarrasing loss to a humble tortoise in a footrace. Perceiving himself as the winner long before the race was over, the hare stopped running, to celebrate his imminent victory. While the rabbit indulged his ego, the tortoise passed him and continued onward to the finish line. The rabbit, suddenly aware of the tortoise's progress, returned to the road and began running his fastest, desperately trying to catch up to the tortiose. His efforts were to no avail, for his revelry had softened his muscles and made him heavy. As he crested the final hill, he could do nothing more than to watch helplessly as the tortoise crossed the finish line.

Remember the hare, Sony. A race is won through effort, not through overconfidence.

ps1 sucked, ps2 sucked less, ps3 will suck more

The two generations of playstations ive been through had the best games I've ever played and the PS3 won't be any different, in fact it'll be better.

Quote Originally Posted by iniquitous_beast
    He says that he never saw any favorable articles about the ps2, huh? I disagree. The ps2 was a massive ball of hype. Everyone I knew, including myself, thought that it would be the greatest console in history. There was no limit to the ps2's power in the public eye; plus it would become many people's first dvd players.

One of my favorite consoles, the dreamcast, was killed prematurely, some would say, simply by the hype surrounding the ps2. People weren't buying dreamcasts because they expected that the ps2 would be so much better. (Mind, you, that the ps2 was technically superior to the dreamcast, but not so superior that the DC deserved its fate).

Sure, the ps2 had its naysayers, but their vioces were drowned out by the great hype machines of sony. Where is that hype machine today, I ask? The x360 has been compared to the dreamcast in its position at this point in the console war, but where are the blinded masses now? Can not sony's hype machine smother them as well? The ps3 is not out yet, but people are already cool-headedly comparing it to the x360 as a near match in power. Why is sony not riding a wave of glory? I'll tell you, Kutaragi. The game media will not automatically favor sony unless sony excercises good public relations. Arrogance will not sway public confidence in sony's corner. Propogandize, sony. Do as you have done before. Lie, sony. It shall gain you sales; as it did with the ps2 years ago.

A certain hare once suffered an embarrasing loss to a humble tortoise in a footrace. Perceiving himself as the winner long before the race was over, the hare stopped running, to celebrate his imminent victory. While the rabbit indulged his ego, the tortoise passed him and continued onward to the finish line. The rabbit, suddenly aware of the tortoise's progress, returned to the road and began running his fastest, desperately trying to catch up to the tortiose. His efforts were to no avail, for his revelry had softened his muscles and made him heavy. As he crested the final hill, he could do nothing more than to watch helplessly as the tortoise crossed the finish line.

Remember the hare, Sony. A race is won through effort, not through overconfidence.
    The Playstation consoles, "hypeless" or "hypefull", will sell regardless. It's the brand, it's the games that make people buy this stuff regardless of all the negative press. don't be too hard on Sony just because they killed off the dreamcast. That system was doomed anyways because it came out too early than it should and failed to carry one particular technological advancement at the time, DVD playback. so mind you Sony bashers out there just go ahead and buy a xbox360 or buy a Wii, and forget about the ps3. And when your new-found techonology runs out of steam, rant on forums like iniquitous beast here about how Sony knocked of your beloved system(s). The rest of the gaming populace with a PS3 won't be there sharing your pain. We'll be playing our games.

DCEmu Rookie

Hype does not = favourable articles. Hype is PR generated by the Sony marketing department, KK is right in what he said. Sony were slated for the lack of enough PS2s at launch and for the lacklustre launch games, Timesplitters was about the only decent one i remember. Over time though the game library grew and sales exploded and are still strong even now. Some PS2 games from the past couple of years are technically fantastic such as Okami and God of War.

Actually it was SEGAs complete inability to market the Dreamcast that was it's downfall, after the dismal sales of the Saturn they should have learnt a lesson.

The PS3 is comparable to the 360, in some ways more powerful. The 360 doesn't compare to the Dreamcast in anyway whatsoever, Microsoft are the most powerful company in the world with endless pockets, a very successful previous console behind them and a massive Marketing team and strategy. They are far far stronger than SEGA were so the only similarity is the colour of the console and the fact their machine has been released first.

Sony are sticking to their plan and refuse to deviate due to what the competition are doing unlike MS who change their plans all the time based on what Sony do. The gaming media don't have as much influence on actual sales as you would like to think.. The PS3 will sell more than the 360 but the gap will be considerably closer than the with last generation. If the 360 was to be the winner then it would have sold a hell of a lot more units by now.

Thread Information