Thread: Can anyone tell me if my DS Lite is charging fully?.....

Cool Can anyone tell me if my DS Lite is charging fully?.....

The DS Lite uses two small lights side by side on the top right of the system. When my DS Lite is charging, they both turn orange, with the left orange being brighter than the right orange. When it tells me it is fully charged (I think!), the DS lights go out completely.

When the DS is switched on after a (supposed) full charge, they are both green, the right green always being brighter than the left. Is this normal? Or does this mean my battery is only half charging? Does anyone have a DS Lite to compare? Ive possibly bought a sealed import DS Lite (japanese) with a bad official Nintendo battery! I might have to first check if its connected inside properly (which is awkward enough finding a small enough screwdriver to open the **** thing, lol) or try and replace the battery.. if that doesnt work then im stuck! Googling around Im not the first to have DS charging problems with the light going out far too soon! Ive had the DS for a few weeks, and Ive hardly used it at all (four "charges" so far, but it seems to run out quite fast! Nowhere near any 8+ hrs lasting time on a full charge! lol

The twin lights have always been the same with brightness when charging or in use....
    can anyone help and compare with their own DS Lite? thanks
    It was awkward enough trying to get the Wifi to work with the DS- and now this! aaargh!
    *50 people outside Currys on launch day suddenly jump from the DS queue to the PSP queue* LOL

Theres nothing wrong its probably the alinement of the led. But as long as they show the light you shouldnt have a problem. As for the charge they really dont last a full 8 hr. and battery life dies when not in use.

One light is for power one is for wifi.

The power one is green when charged up, red when low and orange while charging, it turns off when fully charged. It seems like the other one is on half because a bit of the light from the other LED leaks through.

The other one tells you when wifi or local multiplayer is in use by flickering green I think.

What soully said is totaly true.

Really?, I thought it flickered green when its starting to lose battery, after a fresh charge mins block green, after so long i notice it flickering, then awhile after it goes red.

Anyways yeah, thats normal, its just the light thats weak not the charge, the majority of DS's don't last as long as nintendo say they will (battery life that is)

It should not flicker unless your using a card of some sort like G6 , M3 , SC etc.....

thanks for the replies- im not sure if the original DS is the same with what the lights do when running low on charge or when charging up... but im pretty sure my DS Lite flickered green with mine also just before turning orange to say it was on a low battery- I dont remember if my Lite turned red after that, I think it would just switch off.

Im still concerned about how my ds lite seems to run out of power so quickly. So when fully charged only one side should be bright green? My system only seems to last one hour on the lowest brightness with very low sound, and it takes one hour when it runs out of charge completely to charge back up?
    If however im completely mistaken and just cant count (LOL although im pretty sure my DS has a bad battery or connection!) how long does anyone elses DS original or DS Lite last when on its lowest display setting and low/no sound from a full charge?

thanks for any more info...??...

About 3 to 4 houers.

I guess i definately have a problem with mine then, lol. I definately dont get 3 hours! I have a japanese DS lite from liksang.com which came with the japanese plug (which I obviously cant use) and a free third party uk plug. My first thought was that it was just a cheap n nasty plug they included, but this plug also disconnects from its lead, and I can use that part as a USB charger for the DS Lite using my pc USB port. The DS still claims its charged fully after an hour or so, and lasts an hour in use, so it must be either the built in DS Lite software, a bad official battery or the battery isnt sitting properly- if its any of those then its solved, if not then im pretty stuck...

The only other thing I can think of trying is either getting a step down transformer/adapter for my official jap DS Lite plug to use the uk mains, or the more expensive option of buying an official uk Nintendo DS Lite plug and/or battery. Im not sure if the plug is the problem though if the usb doesnt charge the DS either? lolaargh! Maybe as a last resort, I'll keep the DS connected to either the mains or USB as if it were charging, even if the charger light goes out- just to see if its just a software issue with a bad charger light going out sooner than it should even though the DS may still possible be charging... mmm getting desperate there though- haha

does anyone know what high st stores sell a step down voltage converter to allow the above Jap ds to run on a UK mains? I tried B&Q, but they didn't stock any.......?

Thread Information