Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How-To: Craft an analog control stick for your Sony PSP (part 2)

Blog Entries

psp How-To: Craft an analog control stick for your Sony PSP (part 2)

Heres an excerpt:

A couple weeks ago we showed you, the teeming PSP loving masses, how to attach a standard analog stick to the embattled portable. Now join us for part 2 where we construct a case for the analog stick and create a convienent way to clip it onto a PSP. With a little luck you'll be able to look as cool as the loser shown above! So get your hot glue guns fired up and let's do this thing!

Intially I struggled to come up with an easy way of doing this project. You know, the typical tossing and turning at night, running up to the apex of hills and screaming "WHY?????" Standard stuff. Even wandering around Hobby Lobby for an hour didn't really spark any ideas. Eventually I did hit upon an ideal object to make an analog stick attachment case out of -- behold!

Parts List

A can of Jerky Stuff. This is a type of shredded beef jekry that's been around for a while. Any product with this sort of plastic container will work, but the health hazards may vary. Your call. Anyway, this plastic container is almost exactly the same height as a PSP and an analog stick fits inside perfectly. Plus it's round so it fits the style of the PSP.

Full Article

DCEmu Newbie

Default Interesting

I have to admit is a good MOD; and I could even accept the cutting of the PSP case (as long is not the original one and can be replaced easily for the original and the MOD one); but Messing with the PAD buttons soldering and rewiring the whole thing ..... mmm gives me the chills on my spine. I have a nice 1.5 original firmware PSP and have no intentions of messing with it so I can damaged it ....

Isn't any other solution ...like conecting the Joystick Via USB?; of course a software controller has to be used, but it should be 100 time safer rather to mess directly with the PSP motherborad .......

Then the unit could still be done a similar way without cutting anything and just screwing it in both rear holes the unit has in that side ......

Any programer that wished to do such USB controller?????

holy frick, i would never attempt that on my psp

I don't think I will be carving up my psp case just to attach something hidious , I wonder if McGyver here had bricked his psp and had nothing better to do for the afternoon

Thats a big add on. I wouldn't spend so much time adding cheap plastic to my PSP. If it were smaller, I would like it.

DCEmu Newbie

Default Options

Quote Originally Posted by shrimpidy
    Thats a big add on. I wouldn't spend so much time adding cheap plastic to my PSP. If it were smaller, I would like it.
    Actually, THERE ARE some other smaller types of Joysticks available in the market (SONY used some quite small ones but reliable for some remote controllers some years ago); and If you cjheck in detail the article, the SIZE is mostly of the CAN, and not the joystick; at least 40% of the space inside the can is AIR (no electronic circuits or anything). He also mentions he choosed that can due matches the Thickness of the PSP ... but still I insit it can be done smaller and more reliable keeping intact the PAD buttons and controling via USB (is more complex but better).

WOAH, it looks ugly though :s

DCEmu Rookie

This mod might be problematic for games that require you to press the D-pad a lot in-game, such as Syphon Filter. You might accidently hit the analog stick while trying to press a D-pad button. Perhaps it if were a little higher or lower, it might work better.

I would pay some money if someone were willing to do this to my PSP.

thats too huge and makes the psp look ugly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information