Thread: Pelican swallows pigeon in park

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Forum Pelican swallows pigeon in park

Families and tourists in a London park were left shocked when a pelican picked up and swallowed a pigeon.

The unusual wildlife spectacle in St James's Park was caught on camera by photographer Cathal McNaughton.

He said the Eastern White pelican had the unfortunate pigeon in its beak for more than 20 minutes before swallowing it whole.

An RSPB spokesman said: "It is almost unheard of for a pelican to eat a bird. Their diet should be strictly fish."

Mr McNaughton, from the Press Association, said: "The pelican was on the towpath preening itself, and there were a lot of tourists watching it.

"Then the bird got up and strolled along until it reached one of the pigeons, which it just grabbed in its beak.

"There was a bit of a struggle for about 20 minutes, with all these people watching. The pelican only opened its mouth a couple of times.

"Then it managed to get the pigeon to go head first down its throat. It was kicking and flapping the whole way down."

There are currently five pelicans living near Duck Island in St James's Park - four Eastern Whites and one Louisiana Brown.

Pelicans were introduced into the park during King Charles II's reign as a gift from the Russian ambassador.

Source: BBC

lmao, funniest story i have read in a while, well sometimes pigeons deserve what they get.... oh wait thats seagulls, scratch that :P

Blog Entries

thats terrible.

*applauds the Pelican* I wish Pelican's would do us a favour and swallow every pigeon on the damn street - they get on my NERVES! Fluttering everywhere and crapping up the place.

Thread Information