Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 Games on PSP?

Blog Entries

psp PS3 Games on PSP?

Via IGN

Despite a release set for less than a month from now, numerous questions linger about the PlayStation 3. In the latest issue of Famitsu, Sony's Izumi Kawanishi, the guy in charge of the development of both the PS3 and the PSP hardware, cleared up a few of our concerns and also hinted at big things to come in the future.

The biggest revelation from Kawanishi concerns the connectivity options Sony has planned for the PSP and PS3. It's already known that you'll be able to use your PSP as a remote viewer for your PS3's media content. At launch, the two systems will have to be within direct ad-hoc connection range of one-another, but following launch, Sony plans to extend the functionality across the internet.

Kawanishi revealed to Famitsu that Sony's plans go beyond just media viewing, though. In the future, Sony hopes to allow players to play PS3 games remotely via the PSP. While Kawanishi didn't get into specifics, we imagine the PSP being used just to display game footage sent to it by the PS3 and send back controller data input by the player.

This type of connectivity has apparently been on the cards for some time. Kawanishi noted that he had such a system in mind when making the PSP's aspect ratio identical to that of high definition televisions, 16x9.

In other parts of the interview, Kawanishi tackled a few lingering issues.

First up, a caveat to PSP connectivity. The Famitsu article warns that you'll be able to use the PSP as a remote media player only if you purchase the 60 Gig PS3 model, which has Wi-Fi built in. It's unclear if the same functionality can be achieved by connecting your 20 Gig model to a USB Wi-Fi socket or by hooking it up directly to a wireless router. We'll be sure and run some tests once (if?) we get a system at launch.

Kawanishi also commented on region free software. This feature, which has been confirmed by various Sony reps in the past, is indeed a reality. "It's often been the case that past game systems would have a region code system, and would not play overseas games," explained Kawanishi. "However, PlayStation 3 game software does not have this region code. In other words, if you can get your hands on overseas software, you can play as is. There are exceptions, however, so SCE does not make guarantees about operation."

Finally, some details on how you'll be updating your PS3's system software. Kawanishi revealed that, in addition to updating via the internet, Sony plans on letting users update via flash memory (presumably by downloading update files to a memory card) and via game and media software. These two latter options sound similar to Sony's current policy of forced PSP system software updates.

So that clears up three lingering questions about the PS3. We count exactly 997 remaining.

Isn't it ironic that SONY causes LIK-SANG, a major online source for import games, to shut down and then confirms that PS3 will not have region locks?

LOL!!!!!!! I never noticed that. Really though I think they didnt want their consoles imported for the first batch of ps3s because they will be limited. After the european launch I dont think they will care anymore but thats just a guess.

DCEmu Legend

Well, if I do bother to get a PS3, it will be the souped up version. I don't much see the point in the alternative "stripped down" version.

It looks like there is some cool stuff that would be capable regarding PS3 to PSP connectivity.

this oes on to prove once again sony has lost thie rminds and is extremly power hungry.
    I mean, close link sang, then make the ps3 non region encoded???
    make snos ense and completely contrdicts what they said about thier os3's being imported and not being able to play anythign.

Once again... piss off sony

Great news, but I hate Sony.

Spill it Sony, or no one will want to buy your cash cow

No region code restrictions for PS3 games? That's just the same as the PSP. Not really a suprise.

Have to buy 60GB PS3 system for wireless PSP connectivity? That's just highway robbery, plain and simple.

Ok if the PS3 could possibly do remote play then why would we go and buy one. I am sure that someone could hack it and make a PS3 server like thing where all the games are stored on a hard drive so that people could login, choose a game of preference and play it through their PSP. Actually if the PSP is recieving data from the PS3 you could probably even pipe it through your TV. You might even be able to use the controller for the PSP via the USB port on the PSP

I know it wont work :-) but I can still dream my silly dreams. Plus it's fun to get the noobs all riled up.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypocritical Sony
    In other words, if you can get your hands on overseas software, you can play as is.
    Whoo yeah, go Sony. Finally a company that understands the gamers need to import foreign software. Oh no, wait a sec, you just killed Lik-Sang for providing that exact service, claiming it to be bad!!!

How can you make such a bold statement about the legallities of importing, and then boast about the PS3's ability to play imported games out-of-the-box, in the same week?!?

Oh, and the PSP can only view media files from the PS3 in close proximity? ... You created LocationFree, why can't you use that protocol? You've already installed it into the PSX! ... Or are you holding functionality back so you have excuses for further updates?

Nothing mentioned here is that impressive, and a lot of it is noted as "plans" or "future functionality" which, knowing Sony's track record, probably won't be delivered anyway!

Cheers,
    Fox
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information