Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: final fantasy is crap

DCEmu Newbie

Default final fantasy is crap

can someone please explain to me the attraction of final fantasy. im a big rpg fan but final fantasy has got to be one of the worst. you are forced to follow a pre determined route and forced to watch long and boring story segments. the battles last for far too long as well. its basically extremely linear and boring. the one redeeming feature it has is the graphics which are far better than any other game on ps2

Default Re: final fantasy is crap

ive never liked any of them since the snes to be honest. If i wanted to watch a video i'd go to blockbuster.

DCEmu Newbie

very true. its just like watching a long boring video.

1) Some of us prefer linear games. I honestly cant stand games that are completely blow wide open and give me a million ways to complete everything. I find it too overwhelming. I also love long battles, and I loved the fact that they got rid of ATB in FFX and went for a slower paced battle system. It was nice to think about suff strategically.

2) Im sick of people moaning on about cut scenes and acting like they didnt exist on the SNES or consoles before then. Yes they did, you just ploughed through text boxes instead of watching some nice video footage. People seem to think that if the computer takes control of your character, but blends it in perfectly with gameplay, it suddenly isnt a cut scene?

3) There is no point in trying to explain what the attraction is with FF games to somebody who doesnt like the series. If youve played it, and dont like it, then youre going to disagree with what people believe is the attraction anyway. But hey, its easily the most popular RPG series around, so they must be doing something right ;D

[quote author=souLLy link=board=ps2;num=1088155385;start=0#1 date=06/25/04 at 04:31:47]ive never liked any of them since the snes to be honest. If i wanted to watch a video i'd go to blockbuster.[/quote]

I agree. I recently tried to play FF VII (It won the "Best Game Ever" poll on gamefaqs.com) but I find it boring, iritating, and silly. One crappy cut-scene after another. I'm playing FF VI (SNES) instead and I find that much more enjoyable.

I'm not a big fan of the cut-scenes anyway and prefer that they be done (as some one else mentioned) in the actual game engine instead of full motion video. It's less intrusive and seems more natural. I really hate having to stop and watch a little mini-movie every time something "important" happens. Ack!

final fantasy 9 is surely not crap.... but hey whatever happened to the dragon warrior series.now that was king i love that game....

DCEmu Regular

final sets trends, instead of relying on games of D&D to dictate a games graphics, characters, names, abilities, situations, pretty much the whole games is a big D&D game. as opposed to FF which usually has captivating graphics, plot twist, and all kinds of stuff. but to compare two thing together i would say that FF is like a morally and ethical novel and most nonlinear games are trite and disposable games of D&D or whitewolf.

I liked ff4 & ff5. And i took a liking to ff8 (here comes the flame fest). Final fantasy is becoming a peice of computer graphics crap. Modern RPG's really suck ass. The only system with that old school feel to it is the gba. as far as im concerned moder 3d graphics can go to hell. A game can look great, and suck. I would rather play my rpgs on super nintendo or playstation anyday then all this 3d modern crap.

Thats not to say all new age rpg's suck. I just really miss the olden days. back when it took creativity to sell a game, not flashy graphics and titles taken from other games.

I remember my first rpg ever was final fantasy 2. i loved it, and i think i have made a habbit to beat it again every year since i bought it. Super mario rpg was the next one i played and it was short and easy, but a great rpg never the less. When i got into emulation it blew my mind how many great rpgs were around that i had never heard of, and some are just now being discovered thanks to translators... im done rambling.

DCEmu Regular

I feel the same way.

I think that FF3/6j was the crown achievement of rpg's. it was/is kick ass on so many levels. my first was FF1. which I must have played for 3-5 years over and over. until zelda3. there is something about zelda3 and final fantasy6 (and maybe even7) (and you can probably throw in metroid3) that trancsends all the newer rpg/adventure games., even the sequels of these games. I think there are far more people that will agree with me than disagree. nobody really knows why these games stand out so much either. but the fact of the matter for me at least is that at the end of the day you still think about these games. and compare new games to the feeling that you get when you play these games.

DCEmu Newbie

i really think the main loss of ff is the fact that you have so little control over it. i to miss the old rpgs. i used to have sword of vermillion and d&d warriors of the eternal sun on the megadrive and they were brilliant. kingdom hearts is one of the best games i have ever played which i think is due to the fact that YOU are fighting your way through some serious enemies at a speed which is exciting and bosses which are HUUUGGGEEE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information