Thread: Japan to get Wii with DVD player

Blog Entries

Rev Japan to get Wii with DVD player

Nintendo has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that there are plans to launch a new version of the Wii featuring DVD playback functionality in Japan.

The Wii's original spec sheet said the console would come with a DVD player as standard, but Nintendo later elected not to include the feature - observing standalone players are now widely available at low cost.

However, an article in the latest issue of Edge magazine states that an "enhanced" Wii with DVD function is due out in Japan some time next year.

Speaking to GI.biz, a spokesperson declined to comment on when the new machine will hit the shops, but did confirm, "There are currently plans to release a version of Wii in Japan featuring DVD playback."

He added, "There are currently no plans to bring this model to Europe or the US."

The Edge article also claimed that CNN has already signed up to provide content for the Wii news channel in the US and Japan - but according to Nintendo's spokesperson, "We have currently announced no deals with any news or weather service provider for Wii channels."

He also dismissed suggestions that Nintendo originally intended to price the Wii at GBP 150 / USD 200, but was forced to increase the price to GBP 180 / USD 250 following pressure from retail chains concerned about profit margins.

"Price is set by retailers, not by manufacturers, so there is no truth in this assumption," the spokesperson said.

Nintendo just took the piss.

I still feel that Wii shoulda supported DVD playback from the get go

I cant honestly say I care. If you dont own a stand alone DVD player by now then you must be living under a rock. This was probably a wise decision of nintendo as it increases their profits by saving money on the extra hardware and gets rid of something that we all already really own.

WiiQ?

And only for the japaneses.. again -_-

Thread Information