Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nolan Bushnell Disappointed with PS3

Blog Entries

ps3 Nolan Bushnell Disappointed with PS3

Atari founder Nolan Bushnell points out that PS and PS2 got lucky with their release, 'It wasn't anything brilliant that they did. With the PS and PS2 it was timing. They had the right pricing at the right time [and were] almost the accidental winner.' But he seeing things this time around different 'It would not surprise me if a year from now they'll be struggling to sell 1 million units.

I think hes going to be wrong :P

"It would not surprise me if a year from now they'll be struggling to sell 1 million units"

that ass, o hell look like the biggest jackass once they sell more than 1 million by the time of there goal.

ull eat ur words bushnell.!

he voices some decent concerns, but i think his 1 million mark might be a bit of an overstatement. i think 1 million won't even meet the first 3 month demand. [launch to after new years] i mean, if people are willing to pay over 1000 for a system, more people will be willing to pay 600 for one.

is the ps3 limited on quantity?

"Atari founder Nolan Bushnell points out that PS and PS2 got lucky with their release" dude..Atari?isnt' that company like in bigh $#@!?i cant remember a recent good game coming from them...

Dream Coder

I agree with him. Also, what part of that was quoted and what was you wraggster?

I would assume that the second quote of his is supposed to mean, that they will struggle to move 1 million units during 07. Either way I would agree with an extremely low number. I would say no more than 5million units over it's lifespan.

The problem is that they can't have a poor start and then come back, userbases just don't work like that. Since there are going to be so few consoles availible at launch, developers won't want to sink too much into it, advertising will be slim, because at most it will be 500000 people spread all around the world (part of the reason, I'm sure, why sony wants to keep the consoles in their own region, because if not, they will effectively lose targetable customers). From there, developers have to be doing something, so they will have moved more focus to the wii or 360 (or both).

That combined with the certainty of a large percentage of the hardware being defective on launch, point to a quick death for the system.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Rookie

The success of PSOne and PS2 lucky? What $#@! is he smoking.. Just reaffirms how out of touch he is with gaming now.

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    The problem is that they can't have a poor start and then come back, userbases just don't work like that. Since there are going to be so few consoles availible at launch, developers won't want to sink too much into it, advertising will be slim, because at most it will be 500000 people spread all around the world (part of the reason, I'm sure, why sony wants to keep the consoles in their own region, because if not, they will effectively lose targetable customers). From there, developers have to be doing something, so they will have moved more focus to the wii or 360 (or both).

That combined with the certainty of a large percentage of the hardware being defective on launch, point to a quick death for the system.
    Yes of course, using your logic the low initial shipments of the 360 have really affected it's long term success.. oh and the PS2 also. Sony will be shipping PS3s to market every week so the installed base will continually increase. If you remember the PSOne and PS2 launched in Japan first, didn't do too badly did they?

You're comments will be proven to be way off the mark over time. Certainty of a large percentage of defective hardware? What a load of garbage.. about 5-10% is about normal.

Any time bushnell talks trash show him a picture of ET...
    I'll buy a PS3,after a while. Especially after we find out exactly what's goin on with the first version(hardware problems and such)

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
    Any time bushnell talks trash show him a picture of ET...
    I'll buy a PS3,after a while. Especially after we find out exactly what's goin on with the first version(hardware problems and such)
    Nolan Bushnell had nothing to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by irongiant View Post
    Yes of course, using your logic the low initial shipments of the 360 have really affected it's long term success.. oh and the PS2 also. Sony will be shipping PS3s to market every week so the installed base will continually increase. If you remember the PSOne and PS2 launched in Japan first, didn't do too badly did they?

You're comments will be proven to be way off the mark over time. Certainty of a large percentage of defective hardware? What a load of garbage.. about 5-10% is about normal.
    As far as I know a 1% rate is unusually large for most electronics.

The difference with the 360 is that it was the first "next gen" platform. Even so, compared to sales of things like the ps2 and ps it has barely moved. The PS did poorly in japan relative to in the US. The saturn had a large market share there. The ps2's success is in large part due to the DVD drive, especially in japan.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information