In recent years, it's become a fashion for Apple prototype parts to pop up just weeks ahead of hardware launches; and it seems like there's no exception for the upcoming next-gen iPad, which is believed to feature a 2,048 x 1,536 IPS LCD within the same 9.7-inch footprint. While we're only two days away from seeing Tim Cook and co. unveiling said tablet, we couldn't help but take a look at its bits and bobs acquired by our good friends over at M.I.C. Gadget.

What we have here is allegedly the external essentials of the "iPad 3," which include a white glass cover (sans frame) with a home button already installed, along with a 3G-ready aluminum body plus cables for the dock connector and the volume rocker. With a quick glance you may easily mistake this as just the iPad 2 -- it's even compatible with the Smart Cover! But look close enough and you'll spot the larger lens on the prototype, which may suggest that Apple's finally giving its tablet a more capable back camera. There's also a more subtle difference between the two bodies: not only is this "iPad 3" marginally thicker, but the curvature from the flat bottom to the sides is ever so slightly more emphasized, thus providing a tad more internal space for the components -- most likely the battery for the sake of feeding the rumored LTE radio. Well, until Mr. Cook gives us the answers, you can keep yourselves busy by watching M.I.C. Gadget's funkadelic hands-on video after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/05/i...arts-hands-on/