Thread: Getting stared in fenix

Default Getting stared in fenix

hello, well i havent posted for a few months now. I was a little distracted. anyways I'm looking into moving into DC coding. I have some prior coding experience with VB (probably useless here) and java (hear that the syntax is some what similar to that of c/c++). As of what I've gathered, there is really 2 ways you can go, FENIX or C/C++. I have a few questions

1) Will this require large files to download (lost my hispeed for 56K)
    2) Is it reaslly less complicated than c/c++
    3) Can it be done with out a coder cable (cant get one yet)
    4) Are there any user friendly tutorials, if so, can you direct me to the best of them

thanks for any help

Dull Blade, most of your questions are mine too. If someone could help, it would help at least two users!!! Thank you!

No, large files aren't required. The only time the source code available for download is large is if there's items in the romdisk (not sure if Fenix supports romdisks) and theres a bunch of images and sound clips. Normally the source shouldn't be any larger than 1MB.

I haven't tried Fenix or really know what the language looks like but it's easier than C++. Not as powerful, but also not as hard.

I don't know if you can test it without a coders cable. I vaguely remember reading that you can run it on your computer before trying it on your Dreamcast but, I don't know for sure.

One of the members of our forums, Atari, has a site aiming directly to new Fenix users and has som information on setting up a Fenix development environment.

well this seem ok, i'll give it a try. I guess I'll look into it more. Right now I'm not going for power, just to see if I can get it to work. perhaps in a year or so I'll do somw c/c++

I know, I know double posting is evil, but if i just edited my last, they would of never knew the thread was updated.

right, the question. I have mangaed to set up flamebird and every thing, but I cannot really find any coding tutorials (I found some but they are in spanish). the link above is sort of just setting up the envirnment. does any one know of any sites that have coding tutorials for fenix?

Thread Information