Thread: Is Sony digging themselves a hole?

Default Is Sony digging themselves a hole?

Hey guys, Im sorry I got nothin about SMH or MW today but I was looking into something.
    Inside of the PSP manual on page 3 it says and I quote:

"This divice complies with Part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
    (1) This divice may not cause harmful interface, and
    (2) This divice MUST ACCEPT ANY INTERFACE RECIVED, INCLUDING INTERFACE THAT MAY CAUSE UNDESIRED OPERATION."

Now if you missed the red letters, It means that the PSP should accept all interface (music, games, homebrew) to be complient with code 15 of the FCC rules. So dose this mean that the Firmware Updates that Sony's putting out are breaking this rule? Dose that inturn mean Sony is breaking the Law?!?!?!?!

If you block one interface then you should block them all. So is Sony digging themselves a hole? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    You need to get your eyes checked. "Interference" not interface. Even if it was interface that wouldn't mean anything to do with software.

Part 15 of the FCC regulations deals primarily with radio band interference caused by electromagnetic radiation. The whole thing is generally under the concept of EMI - ElectroMagnetic Interference, which is the property of electric signals, magnetic fields, and electric fields to all cause and manipulate each other.
    OK so I read it wrong =P
    Again I will rescan the manual see if the new firmwares are somehow illeal =P Thank you Quzar for clearing this up.

Im not sure really if they are digging a hole

PSN ID: splodger15

Well ok not a hole but why do they insist that the PSP complies with Code 15 when they are blocking applications?

I would like to read this in my own manuel but its Japenese

PSN ID: splodger15

Dream Coder

You need to get your eyes checked. "Interference" not interface. Even if it was interface that wouldn't mean anything to do with software.

Part 15 of the FCC regulations deals primarily with radio band interference caused by electromagnetic radiation. The whole thing is generally under the concept of EMI - ElectroMagnetic Interference, which is the property of electric signals, magnetic fields, and electric fields to all cause and manipulate each other.

Thank you quzar, sorry for that....I will go rescan the manual (and double check it) for some more stuff like this....

Hopefully there is something sony is doing to sto homebrew that is illegal

DCEmu Regular

Basically, that rule means that the psp has been tested to not screw up nearby electronic devices simply by being turned on; and it has also been tested to be stable in close proximity to other electronic devices. Thus, your psp can survive sitting above your laptop's hard drive while transferring data without being corrupted and/or corrupting the hard drive.

the main reason sony is doing this is because ppl mainly exploit the psp's flaws in order to run iso's of games and roms which are illegal. sony's action isnt an attack against homebrew as a single, but the ability to put illegal software on it, and therefore stopping the process for free coding homebrew is also stopped.

Thread Information