Thread: Retailers Summon Final Fantasy III

Blog Entries

NDS Retailers Summon Final Fantasy III

Via IGN

Square Enix announced today that the much-anticipated RPG remake Final Fantasy III has shipped to retailers across North America. Previously released only in Japan for the Famicom (Nintendo Entertainment System in America), Final Fantasy III is finally hitting U.S. shores exclusively for the Nintendo DS.

"Until now, FINAL FANTASY III has seen no remakes or appearances on other platforms since its original release on the Nintendo Entertainment System in April 1990," said Hiromichi Tanaka, Director and Executive Producer for FINAL FANTASY III. "Due to the game's age, a direct port might seem a bit dated, but now FINAL FANTASY III has been made anew on the sensational Nintendo DS platform, including new graphics in 3D, rebalanced jobs, and brand-new characterization for the four young heroes, who are now more dynamic than ever. As the only game in the FINAL FANTASY series that had not previously been localized, we are very pleased to finally bring FINAL FANTASY III across the ocean to players in North America. We hope that not only FINAL FANTASY fans, but a wide variety of players in North America enjoy the new FINAL FANTASY III."

Final Fantasy III for the Nintendo DS makes extensive use of the system's unique capabilities. Players can use the stylus to explore dungeons, dispatch foes, and cast spells intuitively. Furthermore, gamers can take advantage of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to access the Mognet and communicate with other players as well as NPCs in an effort to uncover hidden dungeons, quests, and items.

FINAL FANTASY III is rated E 10+ (Everyone 10+) by the ESRB and will be available at North American retailers for a suggested price of $39.99.

I think this may have been bad timing for release as PS3 and Wii are coming out in just a few days. I expect sales to suffer in the early going, but should pick up nicely for christmas. I will be picking this up this weekend as I do not have the money for a new console

DCEmu Newbie

That would be true if it were any other franchise but this is Final Fantasy and it can hold its own aganst the new consoles and as for picking it up this weekend good luck most stores online and locally were sold out of it on launch day unless you have it reserved you may not find a copy until Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by wgunder1 View Post
    That would be true if it were any other franchise but this is Final Fantasy and it can hold its own aganst the new consoles and as for picking it up this weekend good luck most stores online and locally were sold out of it on launch day unless you have it reserved you may not find a copy until Christmas
    Strange, I called my local walmart and they are showing 7 in stock from their original shipment of 8.

It's a 24 hour walmart, I might just have to hit them up before work.

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    Via IGN

"Until now, FINAL FANTASY III has seen no remakes or appearances on other platforms since its original release on the Nintendo Entertainment System in April 1990," said Hiromichi Tanaka, Director and Executive Producer for FINAL FANTASY III.
    Hello, Mr. Director, did we completely forget about the Wonderswan Color remake a few years back? FFI-IV ALL got an overhaul onto Bandai's little portable, including III.

And as far as hurt sales, I'd worry more about FFXII drawing sales from III than the PS3 and Wii. Especially since more gamers have a PS2 than a DS when it comes to the RPG faithful.

(But then, I bought it the minute my store got it in... ^_^)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaa View Post
    Hello, Mr. Director, did we completely forget about the Wonderswan Color remake a few years back? FFI-IV ALL got an overhaul onto Bandai's little portable, including III.
    Actually the port of Final Fantast III that was on Wonderswan Colour WAS going to be released but never eventuated due to storage issues. The whole story that eventuated to FFIII on DS started from this very WSC re-make issue. After being scrapped from a WSC release it was planned to be a GBA release, then some other issues arose and they changed their minds going for a FULL overhaul for the DS. Final Fantasy III is the long forgotten FF game that can now once again see the light of day, in english too All I am waiting for is my copy in the mail, damn living in Australia sucks (for game releases anyway)...

Thread Information