The BBC iPlayer is now available on Microsoft's Xbox 360 console, some three years after the public broadcaster began negotiations to bring the video streaming service to the device.
It's been a long time coming but British Xbox 360 owners can now access the video-on-demand iPlayer service on their consoles. The Xbox 360 is the last console to gain iPlayer support with the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii already offering a version of the iPlayer.
Microsoft's requirement that video streaming services require an Xbox Live subscription was the deal breaker that stopped the iPlayer being made available on the console for so long.
"Given the BBC’s goal to reach its entire audience, I’m particularly excited that the BBC will be bringing iPlayer to all Xbox users at no extra cost as part of Xbox LIVE’s free membership," said BBC on-demand boss Daniel Danker.
BBC iPlayer boss Dave Price said that games consoles were no longer "just about gaming" and that they had transformed into home media hubs.
"I can tell you the fight is already happening in my home for control of the Xbox! And my wife has never been interested in Call of Duty!", Price blogged.

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/...box-360/028107