Thread: Pre-owned "increases the cost of games"

Blog Entries

Default Pre-owned "increases the cost of games"

Echoing the thoughts an arguments that have many times been the centre of near-furious debate at the Intent Media office, Silicon Knights boss Denis Dyack has argued that pre-owned is damaging the games industry.
    “I would argue that used games actually increase the cost of games," he told GamesIndustry. "There used to be something in games for 20 years called a tail, where say you have a game called Warcraft that would sell for 10 years. Because there are no used games, you could actually sell a game for a long time, and get recurring revenue for quite a while.
    "Now there is no tail. Literally, you will get most of your sales within three months of launch, which has created this really unhealthy extreme where you have to sell it really fast and then you have to do anything else to get money.
    “Used games are cannibalizing the industry. If developers and publishers don't see revenue from that, it's not a matter of hey 'we're trying to increase the price of games to consumers, and we want more', we're just trying to survive as an industry.
    “So I think that's inflated the price of games, and I think that prices would have come down if there was a longer tail, but there isn't."
    It’s a scene we’ve seen many times in the office. Team MCV argue that without the cost-cutting benefits of trading in your games, many consumers couldn’t afford to buy as many new games.
    The counter argument, fronted by fellow office dwellers Develop, says that every sale of a pre-owned game damages developers, robbing the industry of investment and, ultimately, creativity.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pre-o...f-games/093498

Blog Entries

What a load of old cobblers, yet again the games industry are trying to do scape goats, if its not piracy its used games, interestingly it is against the law in japan to resell games, and why its basically become a throw away sociaty (would the games industry fit the bill for the extra waste being buried in the land fill?)

The industry is embracing digital downloads as a means to get games as it will of course get rid of the resale value, but would probably mean less games being sold.

Well even though they can moan about it, there has been and always will be reselling of old games, (yes i admit it, i sold all my spectrum games second hand! and that was over 20 years ago!).

But would that end the rental side of games?

If the music or movie industry was like this, then what then, would that stop films being shown on tv, or music played on the raido?!
    And would nike like the fact their clothes being handed down to your sibling?!

At the end of the day the games industry can make money from old games, its called xbla or psn store, and even nintendo shop, they release their classic games sometimes even with some hd extras, on the latest console and we buy it all over again.

Thread Information