news via Laist

After hearing that a big event celebrating the launch of the new Nintendo system, the Wii was taking place at Citywalk, we made a B-line for the Wii-line and got to sitting. The long night in line at one of our least favorite places in Los Angeles, Universal CityWalk, Wii finally have our console in hand and now Wii have yet another thing to eat up any free time Wii might come across. All our feelings on the situation could be summed up with this sign a couple of the revelers had posted on the window of the store

That's enough for the Wii-tarded Wii jokes, at least for this Wiikend

Spending the evening in line with hundreds of people that most would refer to as nerds or outcasts is an Eye opening experience to say the least. The line stretched from the front of the EB games near the Hard Rock Cafe all the way to the top of the Curious George Parking lot. While inside the store we heard the manager talking to a customer and he said, and I quote "I can't tell you exactly how many systems we have, but it is a four digit number." Feeling confident about our chances of getting our Wii on, we sat and watched the festivities, which included guys on spring loaded stilts, and models throwing around t-shirts and other Nintendo merch, what either of those things had to do with Videogames, I'm not sure, but the guys on the Segways with plasma TVs attached to play the new console were pretty cool.

We did, however, have a couple issues with the wait in line. The first was the complete lack of Wi-Fi. The only place with any sort of Wireless Fidelity was the worst, in our opinion, bowling alley in the world, Jillian's and it seems they were sharing a 56k connection, so it wasn't worth it. The second issue was when a friend of ours returned to the line after retrieving burgers, the security assumed that he was trying to jump in line and kicked him out of Citywalk. He had good humor about the situation and spent the rest of the evening sleeping and getting ready to get his Wii at Target, we on the other hand had our final straw with CityWalk. The only saving grace of the entire mall is the Gibson Amphitheater, but even that's not enough to get us to return to that overpriced and overhyped area of LA.