Warren Spector, creator of Deus Ex and the upcoming Epic Mickey 2: The Power Of Two, says that a new round of consoles won't help solve the most common videogame problems.
Spector is a late arrival to the current generation of HD consoles, with the sequel to Wii exclusive Epic Mickey to be his first game for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. In an interview, he tells us he's far from salivating at the prospect of new hardware from Microsoft and Sony.
"If it comes, it comes; when it comes, it comes," he tells us. "I'm not a tech guy, particularly. I'm a design, story, character guy. I think most of the problems we have to solve are creative ones, not technical ones.
"Obviously we make software, so there's always a technical element to what we do, but I will make games that do whatever I want them to do at the end of the day, and I will use whatever technology [is] available."
It's an interesting take on the need for a new generation of hardware. While Spector is on the same side of the fence as David Jaffe, he's there for different reasons; Jaffe told us last month he had simply been around the block so many times that the prospect of greater graphical horsepower was no longer a thrill.
Whether devs want it or not, of course, the next generation looms on the horizon. While Microsoft has distanced itself from claims it is to unveil an Xbox 360 successor at E3 this year - insisting "2012 is all about Xbox 360" - rumours continue to circulate about its next-gen plans.
Recently, attention has been focused on Sony. Latest reports claim that the PS3 successor is codenamed Orbis, which will launch in 2013 and prevent second-hand games from being played - something Microsoft is also rumoured to be exploring in development of its next Xbox.
Spector's latest project, Epic Mickey 2: The Power Of Two, was announced last month and is in development at his Junction Point studio. A musical with two-player co-op, it's due this autumn for Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/spec...s-arent-answer