Jennifer Hale, voice of the female Commander Shepherd in theMass Effect series, has spoken for the first time about the furore surrounding the ending to Mass Effect 3.
Since the release last month of the final part of Bioware's sci-fi trilogy, the internet has been awash with ill-feeling over the apparently lacklustre end to the game. A campaign to pressure BioWare into changing the ending drew support from thousands of fans, raising $80,000 for gaming charity Child's Play. In an interview on Tuesday, Hale broke her silence on the matter.
"I was surprised about the level of passion about the ending," she said. "But there's something really great about that, too: It says people are invested and they really care and they don't want to let go, which is awesome because I don't, either."
Hale says she knows nothing of what's coming in the new content that BioWare CEO Ray Muzyka says will address people's complaints over the game's ending. She hasn't been contacted by the team, hasn't had a recording session, or been given any indication that she will be needed for this new content.
However, she would be happy to oblige in the case that changes. Hale admits that regardless of whether she utters another word as FemShep again, she's pretending there's going to be more Mass Effect ahead because "I prefer to live in denial about it because it makes me too sad.
"I have mixed feelings about [the prospect of a new ending]," she admits. "I really respect the team and what they did and how hard they worked. And endings are hard! They're cutting new ground; the players are so involved in this game that to come up with an ending to something everyone's got their hand in is a huge challenge.
"So maybe it's going to take a little work to get everything sorted in a way that's going to make everybody happy."
When asked if she had any idea how developer Bioware might respond if fans don't care for the second stab at the ending, Hale laughed and said: "I don't know. Thank God I'm not a writer!"

http://www.edge-online.com/news/jenn...ffect-3-ending