Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 vs. Wii: Nintendo comes out ahead in our eyes

ps3 PS3 vs. Wii: Nintendo comes out ahead in our eyes

news via insidebayarea

The lines have vanished; the squabbling has ended and the newest video game consoles are either on eBay or in fans' living rooms.

Welcome to the next generation.

In one of the busiest weekends ever for the industry, Sony and Nintendo released competing visions of the gaming future. In one, Sony has built a machine for tomorrow with its PlayStation 3.

The console features the vaunted Cell processor, Blu-ray disc drive and enough media options to combat the threat of obsolence.

On the other side, the Nintendo Wii doesn't feature any newfangled graphics card or computer chips. The unit is basically a juiced GameCube, but what sets it apart is its motion-sensing controls that provide a new way to play games.

And no matter how much power is under a console's hood, it's the games that will determine the success for each console, and right now, Nintendo has the edge.

Game time

Anytime a "Zelda" game is released for a coming-out for your console, it will generate buzz. The franchise is one of those sacred cows in gaming, and the latest sequel, which was originally slated for the GameCube, looks to be a triple-A title for Wii.

Sporting a grown-up Link, "Twilight Princess" boasts one of the deepest quests in the series. It also makes interesting use of the Wiimote and Nunchuck controllers.

Using the new scheme, players can shoot arrows, swing swords or go fish. It's the perfect launch title because the classic series has such a large fan base and
    Advertisement
    enough notoriety to draw in Nintendo's nongamer audience. Coming in a close second is "Excite Truck," a racing game that incorporates more of the motion-sensing controls. You steer by tilting the controller left and right; you catch air and dive down by tilting down and up.

Although it's a new way to play, "Excite Truck" is easy to learn because of the intuitive controls and simple focus. The title eschews the complexity of simulations such as "Gran Turismo" and leans toward the straightforward gameplay of the arcade-driven '80s. But more importantly, "Excite Truck" shares a trait with other Wii launch titles such as "Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz" and "Rayman: Raving Rabbids" _ it's fun. This is a system you can share with gamer and nongamer friends alike because the motion-sensing controls are accessible to everyone.

On the other hand, the PlayStation 3 launch titles are more of a mixed bag.

A majority of titles are ported over from other systems, meaning that gamers won't play as much original content as on the Wii. But what players will see from Sony's black box are more realistic graphics, traditional gameplay and some motion-sensing features. At the top of the launch list is "Resistance: Fall of Man."

Developed by Insomniac Games, the first-person shooter takes place in an alternate history prior to World War II in which a virus called the Chimera takes over Europe and Asia. The war setting is one of the best ways to show off what the PS3 can do. The system impresses with its ability to keep track of bullets, soldiers and enemies in a firefight, but on top of that, the console renders this in high-definition.

This epic vision is an impressive feat and shows how Sony's machine can paint with a broad brush, but the real test will be if developers can use it for more intimate scenarios and detailed graphics, such as in "Gears of War."

Looking at other conventional titles, NamcoBandai's "Ridge Racer 7" stands out as another solid game. This time around, the arcade racer integrates tuner elements in a career mode, letting players buy parts to speed up their cars.

Traditionally, NamcoBandai has always supported Sony's new systems with a new chapter from its racing franchise. The original "Ridge Racer" for the PSOne was one of the first titles on the system, and it revealed the potential for polygonal graphics. Although "Ridge Racer 7" doesn't break new ground, it does enough with online play to justify a look. But for Sony to succeed, it will have to re-establish its relationships with outside studios. Unlike the Wii, which will likely have more specially built games, Sony will compete directly with Microsoft's Xbox 360, and exclusive titles such as "Metal Gear Solid 4" will be what draws gamers to one system.

"Exclusivity is important," said Peter Dilly, Sony's senior vice president of marketing. "We have games that show what the system can do. These are the things that drive hardware."

Featured attractions When you look at the rival consoles, the rivalry looks eerily familiar to the battle Sony and Nintendo are waging in the portable market. In terms of features, the Wii, like the Nintendo DS, is more focused on new types of gaming while the PS3 boasts a plethora of media at its disposal like its smaller cousin, the PlayStation Portable. Call it the Swiss Army knife of your entertainment system.

The PS3 can satisfy videophiles with its much-ballyhooed Blu-ray drive; for music lovers, it rips CDs and blares music in surrounded sound. In addition, it also has a photo mode and Internet browser that lets gamers check Web sites such as YouTube from the couch. As for the Wii, Nintendo's interface isn't as slick as Sony's Cross Media Bar. It's more on the cutesy side with Internet channels specializing in news and weather. Another quirky feature is the Mii creator, a program that lets you make your own in-game avatar.

But one thing these companies have in common is the hurdle of getting their consoles in the hands of gamers. Both systems will be one hard-to-find gift this holiday season.

Right now, the Wii will be easier to buy than the PS3. Nintendo reportedly released 1 million units at launch, with 4 million expected by the end of the year. Sony reportedly had 400,000 PS3s at launch.

But Sony executives have said they will replenish that supply by shipping the systems by air. Dilly said he was "optimistic" that Sony will meet its goal of 1 million units by the end of the year. For those who couldn't get a machine, he had this advice: "Be patient and persistent. We're shipping products on a daily basis. If you don't get one today or tomorrow, check back later."

Who do you think came out a winner? The ps3 or the Wii.

Nintedo?....Most def. I have lost respect for Sony, because all they do is carry on with their $#@!y attitude and release crappy hardware at the most ridiculous price...I own their two systems, and their little $#@! of a portable, but I don't plan on getting anything further than that....This christmas, there'll be a Wii sitting under my tree. Nintendo takes care of their people, and that's what I'm about...not getting anal $#@!d while they're showing you multimedia features that in the end don't matter squat...that's all there is to it.

Canada, Ruler of Patriarch of Constantinople and Vicar of the Hagia Sofia

Quote Originally Posted by Apoklepz View Post
    Nintedo?....Most def. I have lost respect for Sony, because all they do is carry on with their $#@!y attitude and release crappy hardware at the most ridiculous price...I own their two systems, and their little $#@! of a portable, but I don't plan on getting anything further than that....This christmas, there'll be a Wii sitting under my tree. Nintendo takes care of their people, and that's what I'm about...not getting anal $#@!d while they're showing you multimedia features that in the end don't matter squat...that's all there is to it.
    quote worthy, well said:thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

Sony PS3. Nintendo is to kidish. I want to sit in my lazyboy when I play a video game. I work all day and want to relax when I get home at the end of the day. That controller of the Wii requires to much activity. I think it will appeal to kids only.

Nintendo will always come out top over Sony. Its like fate. Whats REALLY gonna be the main competitors are Microsoft and Nintendo. They both play fair and original. Neither of them copy each other and they dont think the other is better. They have great games and each has its own supperiority(hombrew check?) features over the other.

To sum it up, I, as well, have lost all respect for Sony.

DCEmu Newbie

yea im a fan of sony but it seems like wii won the launch over ps3. mainly cause nintendo can make the less advanced console faster. the launch games for both systems (like every other launch ever) r not that good, save a few choice titles. wiis got zelda, ps3s got fall of man. nintendo might have the advantage in games so far. but give it a year and ps3 will start kickin out the triple A titles such as GTA, MGS, FFXIII, DMC, GT, R&C....
    not sure what wiis gonna bring out but they proly have some interesting titles next yr since they have longer to work w/ the motion sensing.
    in the end i cannot c sony losing. i mean they had, what, 4 times the consoles as both MS and nintendo last gen. thats not gonna change a whole lot once theyre r enough consoles/games to go around. after this mediocre start sony will get back in the game within a year.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind View Post
    Nintendo will always come out top over Sony. Its like fate. Whats REALLY gonna be the main competitors are Microsoft and Nintendo. They both play fair and original. Neither of them copy each other and they dont think the other is better. They have great games and each has its own supperiority(hombrew check?) features over the other.

To sum it up, I, as well, have lost all respect for Sony.
    LOL, you say that like Nintendo has always had beaten Sony, but you are dead wrong, since the days of PS1, has Sony owned the console market. Maybe Wii will triumph in the beginning of the 'next-gen war' but Sony will ultimately win out. Why? Because the Wii fad will die out quickly when people get tired of having to work to play their games.

Quote Originally Posted by nhlhockey View Post
    Sony PS3. Nintendo is to kidish. I want to sit in my lazyboy when I play a video game. I work all day and want to relax when I get home at the end of the day. That controller of the Wii requires to much activity. I think it will appeal to kids only.
    Says the thirteen year old boy who's tired from doing math all day and wants to be a big mature man which is only possible through playing games like Hitman and Grand Theft Auto.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
    Says the thirteen year old boy who's tired from doing math all day and wants to be a big mature man which is only possible through playing games like Hitman and Grand Theft Auto.
    says the gaytendo 60yo fanboy playing with his dildo w11mote

Canada, Ruler of Patriarch of Constantinople and Vicar of the Hagia Sofia

Quote Originally Posted by KainZ7 View Post
    says the gaytendo 60yo fanboy playing with his dildo w11mote
    do f**k off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information