Thread: Gamers Divorced From Reality?

Blog Entries

General games Gamers Divorced From Reality?

According to Gamepolitics.com, Bill OReilly has a few choice words for gamers and computer geeks in general. The well-known conservative pundit has harsh words for iPod owners, gamers, the PS3, and all of us 'disconnected from reality' by modern technological contrivances."
    From the article:
    "Basically what you have is a large portion of the population, mostly younger people under the age of 45, who don't deal with reality — ever. So they don't know what day it is; they don't know temperature it is; they don't know what their neighbor looks like. They don't know anything... because they are constantly diverted by a machine. Now what this does is it takes a person away from reality because they've created their own reality..."

Yeah and someone is full of crap eh

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    According to Gamepolitics.com, Bill OReilly has a few choice words for gamers and computer geeks in general. The well-known conservative pundit has harsh words for iPod owners, gamers, the PS3, and all of us 'disconnected from reality' by modern technological contrivances."
    From the article:
    "Basically what you have is a large portion of the population, mostly younger people under the age of 45, who don't deal with reality — ever. So they don't know what day it is; they don't know temperature it is; they don't know what their neighbor looks like. They don't know anything... because they are constantly diverted by a machine. Now what this does is it takes a person away from reality because they've created their own reality..."
    Lets see how many bits I can disprove:
    Dont know what day it is
    I can tell what day it is by whats on telly, generally speaking if I just watched csi & its not a weekend then its tuesday (also soup day) etc.. (it goes like that for most days being able to tell what day it is

they don't know temperature it is
    Well theres a thermoneter jobby on the wall downstairs so I can look at that to get the temp, also it would be pretty bad if I couldnt tell when it was warm or cold, does this guy think gamers etc.. have no sense of feeling for temprature? he obviously thinks we cant feel cold or heat (it'd save heating bills if that were the case eh?)

they don't know what their neighbor looks like
    Not so, I see one side coming & going at times throughtout the day & as for the other side theres a nice blonde I have a rough idea what the guy there looks like & I even know they have a baby (even though it rarely cries loud enough to be heard through the wall amazingly) along with another kid or two.

Now as anyone that knows me would say I dont get out much (the loitering in irc proves this) so I probably fit this guys defination of computer geek/gamer but I think that I've killed his argument pretty effectively there. In fact its technology that puts me in touch with most people.

DCEmu Rookie

Well, the only thing I dont know is the temperature! And why on earth would you even care what temperature it is? I dont see it as being important, all I need to know is if im cold or warm, which I do! I wonder what expieriences they've had to come with that rubbish conclusion!

Thread Information