Thread: 1st_read.bin File Checker converted to C

Default 1st_read.bin File Checker converted to C

Since Visual Basic is something most coders do not use and it's portability is not very friendly, I thought I would start learning C by converting 1st_read.bin File Checker from VB. It's completly done, although there is no scrambling or unscrambling.

I received a lot of help from JustBurn and GPF on EFnet #dcemu.

Download the binary.
    Download the source.

This should be considered BETA since I've only tested NesterDC, which works. So there still is a chance of it not working correctly on all software.

I would love to see this ported to Mac and Linux.

Cool beans - Dreamcast userfriendliness over multiple platforms is sorely needed. Oh, and I moved your topic to news, so it's on the frontpage. So here's the interface picture that was posted in fackue's post (since it was showing on the front page after the move), if you're wondering what the interface looks like:

Thanks for the newspost .

BlueCrab gave me the changes for the Linux and hopefully it'll work for Mac OS, version.

I added the changes. You should be able to simply compile with Linux and hopefully Mac.

If someone can compile this under Linux/Mac I'll make mirrors on my site.
    Download source.

I'm saving the source right now, but I'm very new to the world of Linux, so I don't know whether I'll be able to compile it or not.

EDIT - Apparently I am only currently able to compile C programs, not C++. I'm working on trying to figure out how to add C++ functionality.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

Does the command "g++ -v" give you anything in return? If so, then just use g++ where you would normally use gcc if you want to compile C++ stuff.
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

* Sigh *

If you've been following along in the topic over at DCEmulation, you already know there were problems compiling.

After usless hours of trying to get it to compile correctly as a .c file instead of a .cpp file -- I found some help. Kinda makes me mad since all I had to do was move the arrays up on top of the IdentifyBin function.

Anyways, I fixed it and you shouldn't have problems compiling in Linux / Mac. You can download the new source at the same location as the second source post, or by downloading below.

I cleaned it up a bit too, so hopefully it's easier to read.

Download source.

Okie dokie. I'll download the new source and give it a try once I get gcc-++ installed. It turned out that I was just missing an add-on for my gcc. I got it installed on my laptop, and am about to install it here on my desktop computer so that I can give this a whirl. I'll report back in a few hours.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

Little wierd and probably off-topic, I just had to comment on something that was said: it doesn't matter, to me, what code you use to get the job done. Bottom line, the job gets done. Who cares about "unfriendliness" besides the obvious (insert name calling here..i.e., geeks, dorks)? Good that you are learning new stuff, though. If you are down with OOP, you will always be down with OOP whatever language you may pick up (even though C isn't OOP -centric).

Quote Originally Posted by WHurricane16
    Who cares about "unfriendliness" besides the obvious (insert name calling here..i.e., geeks, dorks)?
    Complete newbies maybe?

People aren't born knowing what to do with these things, you know. :P

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

yeah i'm all for use friendlyness, the easier the better for scene.

Thread Information