Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSP sales up by 280 per cent, says SCEA

Blog Entries

psp PSP sales up by 280 per cent, says SCEA

As the shortage of PlayStation 3 units continues in the US and Canada sales of PS2 and PlayStation Portable are booming, according to Sony Computer Entertainment America.

In a statement, communications boss David Karraker said the top five retailers in North America were reporting a week-by-week rise in PS2 hardware sales of more than 115 per cent over the Thanksgiving period. Sales of PSP units, meanwhile, were up by 280 per cent.

Sales of first-party software are also up, according to SCEA. PS2 game sales rose by 120.6 per cent, with PSP software sales increasing by almost 168 per cent.

Sony has yet to publish figures for exactly how many PlayStation 3 units have been sold in North America since the console launched there on November 17.

However, Karraker did confirm that all PS3s shipped to the US last week have been sold, adding, "More are already on their way for this week.

"Feedback from our retail partners is that demand is still incredibly high and that PS3s put on store shelves were quickly snapped up by holiday shoppers," he went on.

"We will continue to utilise airfreight delivery for the PlayStation 3 to assure a steady stream of systems for North American consumers through the end of the year."

As previously announced, Sony plans to ship one million PS3 units by the end of the year.

DCEmu Newbie

I thought you guys were saying Sony was dead and done for? This must pain the XBOX fanboys to hear.

lol

I TOLD everyone!

Sony's making a comeback!

YES~!!!!

This is exactly what Sony needed. Hopefully they spend their new money on devs that will be pretty good at security but just bad enough to let us find some exploits.

This probably won't get close to the money their losing from selling PS3 less than it costs to make them.

Haha.

DCEmu Newbie

So, they sold about 6 PSPs?

u mean u dont know what 280 % increase means.......lol

DCEmu Newbie

Get a sense of sarcasm.. I'm saying that PSP's don't sell very well. Of course sales are going to be up now, it's the holiday season.

Dream Coder

I doubt this highly. What's the source?

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by nhlhockey View Post
    I thought you guys were saying Sony was dead and done for? This must pain the XBOX fanboys to hear.
    Sony has so many products that a failure of a handheld gaming device will not be their downfall, or even close to it. And the PS2 has such a large fanbase that I highly doubt if the PS3 will be a total flop.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information