Thread: Japanese Lessons on Nintendo DS

Blog Entries

NDS Japanese Lessons on Nintendo DS

Ashamed of your Japanese skills? Well according to Nintendo, you should be. But fear not: a new Nintendo DS game is on the horizon, one that will help you "power-up" your kanji and kana skills. Titled Gakken DS Otona no Gakushuu: Kindaichi Sensei no Nihongo Lesson {basically that's Japanese for Kindaichi Sensei thinks your Japanese sucks), the game is aimed at those who are too embarrased to admit they can't tell the difference between the kanji jou and tou, nor read the subtitles that pop up during Japanese variety shows for no apparent reason.

Hosting the game is Kyorin University's Professor of Foreign Studies Hideho Kindaichi, who tests your Japanese skills through a series of activities and then evaluates your progress. If you do well, he'll let you know. If you do poorly, he'll let you know that too, and then tell you what areas of your Japanese you need to work on.

The game is scheduled for a February release in Japan, but don't look for it to find its way to foreign shores anytime soon, since in order to understand the game you must be able to read Japanese and basic kanji (ironic, no?) If you can meet the language requirements however, you should be be able to import the game by around Valentine's Day. Sugoi!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind View Post
    Just what I wanted, and yet, no US release
    Yea thats what I was thinking

Seems like a really interesting game! I might try it out someday if I get a DS.

So basically, it's a game to learn Japanese Kanji/Kana only if you can already read Kanji/Kana. Riiiiight...

DCEmu Regular

Exactly. This is for increasing the abilities of native speakers, so people who already know Japanese. ^_^; THe article did a poor job at pointing this out. THis is not good for, nor will help people who aren't advanced students in Japanese.

Thread Information