Thread: Metareview: Star Trek Tactical Assault

Blog Entries

psp Metareview: Star Trek Tactical Assault

Via PSPfanboy

You guys guessed it! The new Star Trek game on PSP didn't fare too well at all. The series certainly looks like it's on its dying breath: no new movie, no new television series, and no good games. Let's find out why the critics disliked Bethesda's offering for the franchise:

G4TV (60/100) - "The actual ship controls leave something to be desired... Since weapons need time to charge between each burst, combat is also rather slow-paced-particularly before your officers reach higher ranks. Overall, the action feels too slow for an action game, yet too arcade-like for a real tactical experience."

GameSpot (62/100) - "Star Trek: Tactical Assault is brimming with good ideas that just don't feel fleshed out. It's got a nice strategic concept but doesn't run far enough with it. Even with two lengthy campaigns and skirmish options, it doesn't feel quite complete. The underused license is also a shame because a little Captain Kirk goes a long way. Trekkies will find Tactical Assault worth a look, but there isn't enough Star Trek or strategy to give life to the game's promising concept."

IGN (64/100) - "As far as Trek games go, Tactical Assault beats out many of its predecessors. Sadly, that's not too hard to do. It offers a decent mix of strategy and action, though both halves never gel very well. The option to pilot several vessels in two different campaigns is definitely nice, but the story and missions could have used more variety. Lastly, Tactical Assault looks and sounds the part, though Trek aficionados will still find the game's presentation ho-hum."

there has been a lot of good star terk games in the past; Elite Force I &II, Starfleet Command III, Armada I &II...

one of the reasons i was not buying this game is because it's manly classic ships. i'd rather be in charge of a fleet of new soverign classes, or a FPS star terk game for the PSP.

King of killed the_eternal_dark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magicmaster50060 View Post
    there has been a lot of good star terk games in the past; Elite Force I &II, Starfleet Command III, Armada I &II...

one of the reasons i was not buying this game is because it's manly classic ships. i'd rather be in charge of a fleet of new soverign classes, or a FPS star terk game for the PSP.
    or a Star Trek version of Battlefront.... Come to think of it, I've never seen a massive battle or an all out war in any of the series, I wonder why that is.

I've had bad experiences with Star Trek games being poorly developed or just plain sucking in the past. From the looks of this one, it seems to follow suit.

Thread Information