Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Homebrew and Emulators on the Wii Console Tutorial

Blog Entries

Rev Running Homebrew and Emulators on the Wii Console Tutorial

HOT NEWS JUST IN
    Datel have finally released to retail the SD Media Launcher(1 Gig) For Nintendo Wii/GameCube, Playing Games is what we all love to do but also getting the best in offers which is why Virgin Games promo code 2019 offers such great value and we all want our money to go far in this day and age. This Homebrew launcher for Wii lets you play all the latest Gamecube Homebrew on the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo Gamecube including many emulators and Honebrew games and apps, all available here at Wii News and Gamecube Emulation.

Heres the press info:

There's a wealth of really excellent home brew material out there for the GameCube, but how do you get it to run on your happening console? Our GameCube/Wii SD Media Launcher has the answer...

With GameCube/Wii SD Media Launcher, you can run all your home brew Cube software on an unmodified GameCube, or on a Nintendo Wii in GameCube Mode. All you need to do is download the program of your choice from one of the many web pages dedicated to amateur programming on the Cube (Google for 'GameCube home brew' to find dozens of sites). Drag and drop it onto the 1GB SD card supplied with the Media Launcher, then plug it into your Wii or GameCube. Launch the application CD on your console and the home brew program is run from there. Easy!

Everything you need is in the box. The pack includes a software CD, 1GB high-speed SD card, a USB SD card adapter and an SD media adapter to fit in your Cube's memory card slot.

Heres a Screen of the bits you get:

This is a great all in one solution for Homebrew on the Gamecube and Wii (excellent work Datel)

Buy from Divineo UK for £24.95 which is way cheaper than buying all the parts needed seperately.

Heres the older way of getting homebrew on the Wii

For those of you who want to Play Homebrew on the Nintendo Wii our forum member Apocalyptic980c has posted a tutorial for everyone to use and so finally ill post it on the Nintendo Wii News at sticky it too:
    What you need (Hardware):

An SD Card

a 2GB Card will set you back around $49 but handy to have a card that big.

Theres also an Official Wii SD Card released that will work but its a bit more pricey but at least it will work in the Wii as well.

An action replay kit for GC

The Action Replay for Gamecube will set you back around $25 but as well as being the device needed to boot homebrew its also a Region Free Gamecube Boot Disc and Cheats Device, well worth the cost.

An SD card adaptor for gc: Home Made, Nintendo Made or the Gecko (the best )

SD Card Adapters are a bit harder to find but Ebay is at the moment your best bet, Buy the Gecko version if you cant find the Nintendo Adapter.

UPDATE

Theres a 64MB USB Gamecube Memory Card at Play Asia that would take away the need for a SD Card/Adapter at the expense of less space. Its untested at time of writing but a fair bit cheaper than buying seperates.

Last but not Least a Nintendo Wii.

Without the Console youll go knowhere , USA, JAP or PAL Consoles are all compatible.

Software Needed: SDLoad

The Tutorial

1) Plug your SD card into your computer, now using the link above get a hold of SDLoad, firstly you have to format the SD card to either FAT or FAT16, if you cant do this return your computer to the store from which you bought it . After formatting it run sdpatch.exe through the command line as follows:

sdpatch.exe (drive letter):/

now copy SDLOADER.BIN to the root of the card, at this point you can load it up with emulators and what not as long as they are in .dol format . They can be in any directory as long as SDLOADER.BIN is in the root.

2) After installing the above insert SD card into SD card reader and plug into memory card slot A. Insert your action replay card into B and the disc into that place where discs go.

3) When AR boots up pick the USA flag and then ADD NEW GAME. SDLOAD is the game name and push done. Then enter (m) as the code name. Enter the following code

7YPR-RKZZ-MH6W5
    D26A-PE4J-1XX2W
    ZJHY-B1ZH-6P00G

Then select ADD NEW CODE and name it SDLOAD. Enter the following code

AF4H-JPF5-H1B5J
    MVAB-7TQE-ABZPB
    V2CK-QQ1A-Y6P72
    M5N6-CMMH-9EURT
    0JFM-3A6C-VZ6VK
    KYV8-0JGV-0GR1N
    2EGU-HVKF-NDMCN
    7AH0-J9JZ-HHGNJ
    4MHU-G8XT-ZRYCJ
    9474-KF41-8KG34
    QMEV-G90N-A8RV0
    KD4G-5QHV-74D46
    V97K-652Q-Y4TEY
    6M4W-9GPT-E99NG
    QPFY-DJAF-E01FV
    2Z6E-P2WY-24WV4
    6NHW-G3NH-HP31Y
    A2KF-MCKN-D645J
    K5V8-EF9W-7GFQC
    XTU3-269T-VH5NE
    H9GP-C4PP-6FGF9
    HF77-R45C-ZXPDV
    22Y3-D98C-50AJM
    WTWZ-EC88-U5ZTV
    36G1-UGDG-J2G84
    DUMT-15KR-DXJ8K
    JV55-6VF5-2Z02T
    D4R8-MVJ5-QGR21
    1G3C-APD7-1CUVD

Select the code named SDLOAd and check the box next to it, press start and Open and close the lid of disc drive when prompted. Then SDLOAD starts up and you can take it from there!

The Code Process is a one time thing and from then on you can enjoy the world of Gamecube Homebrew and Emulators on your Wii Console easily and without Modification.

Emulators for Gamecube that will work this way include emulators for Snes, Genesis, GameBoy Advance, Gameboy Colour, PC Engine and Nes and also a port of Doom.

Enjoy Legal Homebrew and Emulation on your Nintendo Wii, thanks to Apocalyptic980c for the tutorial and to Costis for his excellent SDLOAD Application.

That's cool!

thanks

DCEmu Rookie

Is there any way to make this work with the Wii's own SD card adapter instead?

DCEmu Newbie

i dont think so because the wii running in GCN mode doesnt have access to the wii's SD drive

DCEmu Newbie

You say "open and close the lid of the disc drive when prompted" how does one open and close the lid of a Wii? Just asking

DCEmu Newbie

so how long till someone gets a working n64 or even gamecube emulator running on this?

DCEmu Newbie

Red face

Let me apologize in advance for being newbish.

With that out of the way:

I've never run an emulator on my own computer/machine.

I've just been using [link removed, probably not legal. -BC] for all my classic Nintendo needs.

However, I'd like to know how to get this emulator working on my Wii for when I deploy. I typically wont have internet, and it would be nice to be able to download a bunch of classics ahead of time.

So, I read through the walkthrough... and have eBayed the necessary hardware. As I'm anxiously awaiting delivery, where is a good place to go to download the roms? I've been googling, and looking at downloads pages... and I'm slightly confused. Can I use ANY download? I'm mostly seeing downloads for emulators, but not specific games... So I was hoping someone could either post a walkthrough of downloading games and roms for beginners (since I'm sure we're about to see a flood of newbs like myself) or if I could atleast get a PM with some "instructions for an idiot".

Thanks again, I appreciate the help, and please try to keep the flames to a minimum... Everyone starts somewhere.

:thumbup:

DCEmu Coder

Nice tutorial

I never thought of adding pics.

DCEmu Newbie

I'll consider this when I can get an AR shipped for $20. I have little hope in the Wii homebrew scene with Wiiconnect24

DCEmu Newbie

Let me be frank...
    Does this play downloaded Gamecube games or just these homebrew applications? :P

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information