Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: gpSP0.8 kai 2.5 - GBA Emulator for the PSP

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by mavsman4457 View Post
    You guys need a human translator to talk to each other. What language does kai speak and can anyone translate for Exophase so he can sort some stuff out with kai?
    Don't bother, if he cared he'd use google to translate like he always does. He sent me one e-mail once, but this was just repeating a changelog from a release he already made.

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
    I made it open source so people would be able to learn from it, report patches/suggestions to me, port it, and most importantly, so that if I stop working on it it won't die.

Not so people can compete with me in releasing it. That's just troublesome in a number of ways. I doubt you'll see the bigger picture though, since he happened to get lucky and make it play some obscure Japanese game that will most likely work in my next version anyway.

Maybe you don't know much about open source ettiquette, but it's very disrespectful to fork something without trying to work with the official releases.

Try to understand how it feels for me when I spend several hours debugging and implementing things, only to have someone reproduce some small fraction of my work and release it for me. Or, when they say they fix whatever, but don't document what they actually did, so I have to dig through diffs and try to determine what are real fixes, what they changed that they THOUGHT they were fixing, and what they're fixing with an incorrect implementation (basically potentially breaking something else at the same time). If they would have sent me an e-mail saying "I think your emulator is doing this wrong" then they could have left it to me to fix it the correct way.

Not to mention, I'm tired of everyone constantly asking me why I quit working on it (because afterall, someone else working on it implies that), tired of everyone asking me which version to use, and tired of all the half implemented/hacked features (like the cheat system in this release)

If you read where the FAQ talks about this you probably wouldn't have had to even ask.
    Thats nice but I don't think flaming the guy for not communicating with you is the best way to deal with the situation. Especially since he doesn't speak English.

As for the source code, couldn't you have just made it available upon request?

DCEmu Newbie

......i just tryed kingdom hearts chain of memories and that also doesent work still, this update is acting exactly like the offical one thatc ame out for 2.80.....

ok if people would look around (its called search for a reason) in stead of just asking the only version of kindom hearts that will work is the EUROPEAN VERSION SO PLEASE STOP ASKING

DCEmu Newbie

hello i downloaded the elgpsp kai 2.5 first time i tried the roms that didnt work in the last emu didnt but when i read the readme.txt i found out that unzipping 16+ roms and starting them works for me i have psp 2.80 and using kriek eloader and this versions works like a charm thank you for all ur hard work! ^^

ps. all the games that ppl have trouble playing work well on me zelda the minish cap and pokemon emerald and golden sun and so on.

DCEmu Legend

psp

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    Thats nice but I don't think flaming the guy for not communicating with you is the best way to deal with the situation. Especially since he doesn't speak English.
    What most people don't understand is that an enormous amount of time & sacrifice went into making the "official" gpSP what it is today. Before 0.5 BETA shocked us all in August, this was already a 3 month or longer secret work in progress. Furthermore, be reminded that gpSP is written from scratch. The work involved in that undertaking is beyond a lot of peoples comprehension. SO think about it, if you spent 6 months or longer working very hard on something unique and original only to have it forked into unofficial releases confusing people new to PSP homebrew, you would probably feel very aggravated to say the least.

So if Exophase comes off a little hard on this guy, I think he's got good reason to. IMHO because gpSP is not just some quick port and an original work, I think ALL of Exophases wishes should be respected and adhered to.

Quote Originally Posted by Flare1748 View Post
    so which one do i download cause i have v2.80, i used the gpSP_kai_25_15.zip and put the bios in it, i load roms they work fine if they smaller then 16mb still. i cant get pokemon or mario and luigi superstar saga working, is there something iam doing wrong?
    Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga doesn't yet work on any version. Freezes at first encounter with Bowser.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post

As for the source code, couldn't you have just made it available upon request?
    You must not even know what flaming is. You asked a question, I answered it. I didn't insult the guy, I explained why forks like this (in general) frustrate me. Besides that, like you said, he doesn't speak English and probably doesn't go to these forums. My post was spoken generally, not directed specifically to Takka. If you have a better way of "dealing" with the situation I'd be thrilled to hear it. No, I'm sure you're going to blindly defend him because this release happens to benefit you. If it didn't have the (incorrectly done, should not be halting the CPU, this eats virtual cycles) fix to fix an obscure AND badly coded game (for anyone who does GBA dev, the game uses DMA IRQ on immediate DMAs, which is just wtf, but then again it feels like almost all GBA games do stupid things) then I doubt you'd be saying anything in this thread at all. Not that you'd actually be trying to see things from the bigger picture, you'd still be blowing off my explanations.

Making source code available on request introduces a tremendous amount of additional work and hardly lets people casually view it, nor does it take care of what happens if I die tomorrow.

Exophase, Thanks for taking time to reply yourself. If it helps at all when you do sit down to work on your project, keep in mind that I'm sure there are many "purists" like myself whom would rather have quality over quantity any day.

thanks for the great emulator!

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
    You must not even know what flaming is. You asked a question, I answered it. I didn't insult the guy, I explained why forks like this (in general) frustrate me. Besides that, like you said, he doesn't speak English and probably doesn't go to these forums. My post was spoken generally, not directed specifically to Takka. If you have a better way of "dealing" with the situation I'd be thrilled to hear it. No, I'm sure you're going to blindly defend him because this release happens to benefit you. If it didn't have the (incorrectly done, should not be halting the CPU, this eats virtual cycles) fix to fix an obscure AND badly coded game (for anyone who does GBA dev, the game uses DMA IRQ on immediate DMAs, which is just wtf, but then again it feels like almost all GBA games do stupid things) then I doubt you'd be saying anything in this thread at all. Not that you'd actually be trying to see things from the bigger picture, you'd still be blowing off my explanations.

Making source code available on request introduces a tremendous amount of additional work and hardly lets people casually view it, nor does it take care of what happens if I die tomorrow.
    All I'm saying is you come across as very whiny and arrogant when you complain about the way he handles certain things in the emulator. Even if you can't set up a way to communicate with him about these issues then you don't have to be a jerk about it.

Dream Coder

I figured I might as well say this in a public thread because I feel this is an important stance. I feel that it is extremely good, giving, virtuous, and gracious of you to maintain this under the GPL. Not only are you providing this to the world and allowing all access, but you are putting up with it when people disrespect your wishes with it.

It's people like you that make open source work. Thank you.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information