Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial to get Homebrew and Emulators to Work on Gamecube Without Modding

Blog Entries

GC Tutorial - How to run homebrew on an unmodded Gamecube

Here's what you'll need:
    - An SD adaptor such as SD Media Launcher or SD Gecko (Note: While SD Gecko is undoubtedly superior to SD Media Launcher, it doesn't come with any SD Media software).
    - An SD card (It's compatible with SD cards up to 4GB. SDHC do NOT work).
    - A computer with any type of SD card reader.

Adding applications/emulators is simple. Just copy the .DOL file onto the SD card. If you want everything to be a little more organized, then simply make folders for the different apps.

If you plan to make your own adapter, then follow this diagram courtesy of IamAbe:

Using Action Replay software

For those of you who have action replay software and wish to explore the world of homebrew on your unmodded Gamecube.

Here's what you need:
    - A Gamecube SD card adapter
    - An SD Card (same as the requirements mentioned above)
    - Action Replay software and a Gamecube (obviously)

Software Needed:
    SDLoad

The Tutorial (courtesy of Apocalyptic980c):

1) Plug your SD card into your computer, now using the link above get a hold of SDLoad. Firstly, you have to format the SD card to either FAT or FAT16. If you can't do this, return your computer to the store from which you bought it. After formatting it, run sdpatch.exe through the command line as follows:

sdpatch.exe (drive letter):/

Now copy SDLOADER.BIN to the root of the card. At this point you can load it up with emulators and what not as long as they are in .dol format . They can be in any directory as long as SDLOADER.BIN is in the root.

2) After installing the above insert SD card into SD card reader and plug into memory card slot A. Insert your action replay card into B and the disc into that place where discs go.

3) When AR boots up, pick the USA flag and then ADD NEW GAME. SDLOAD is the game name and push done. Then enter (m) as the code name. Enter the following code:

Spoiler!

Then select ADD NEW CODE and name it SDLOAD.

Enter the following code:

Spoiler!

Select the code named SDLOAD and check the box next to it, press start, and proceed to open and close the lid of disc drive when prompted. SDLOAD starts up and you can take it from there!

The Code Process is a one time thing and from then on you can enjoy the world of Gamecube Homebrew and Emulators on your console easily and without any modification.

Emulators for Gamecube that will work this way include emulators for Atari 2600, NES, Master System, SNES, Genesis, N64 (in progress), Neo Geo CD, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance!

Enjoy legal homebrew and emulation on your Gamecube!

Many thanks to Apocalyptic980c for the AR SDLOAD tutorial and Costis for his excellent SDLOAD Application.

Where to buy:
    SD Media Launcher (US/UK)
    Action Replay software (US/UK)

Support DCEmu and DIGG this News

Last edited by Eviltaco64; May 4th, 2009 at 04:30. Reason: It was a sloppy article. I just cleaned it up a bit.

DCEmu Newbie

Default N64 ?

Hi,

can I play N64 roms with this method? If so, where to get the emulator?

Thanks!

DCEmu Newbie

Is there a link that tells me how to build the SD adapter?

dude if u have a wii just download n64 games to the virtual console

Blog Entries

just got myself one from ebay, and very cheap too I must say at €9.70

Quote Originally Posted by Retardedcow2000 View Post
    Is there a link that tells me how to build the SD adapter?
    after about 15 mins of searching i finally found this diagram
    Wii Homebrew: Chippy - Chip8 Emulator
    SameGame - Version 1.0

Homebrew PSP Games: Color Puzzle - Version: r2

DCEmu Newbie

I apologise if this question isn't allowed on this forum, but i have two games backed up and several normal Gamecube games. Will this method let me play my two backed up titles?

Quote Originally Posted by IamAbe View Post
    after about 15 mins of searching i finally found this diagram
    That looks confusing...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Stu View Post
    I apologise if this question isn't allowed on this forum, but i have two games backed up and several normal Gamecube games. Will this method let me play my two backed up titles?
    Anyone?

DCEmu Newbie

If you just buy the SD Media launcher can you play snes games on your gamecube? or do you need to enter the codes the way the older way explains?
    Cheers

DCEmu Newbie

Ok, am I missing something? I just got my SD Media Launcher (wanted to try an A/B comparison with Action Replay method) and unlike the picture, my 1 gig SD card has no label [it is purple too], and the USB 2.0 card reader is for a different type of card! Just look at the picture at the top of this thread too. The instructions suggest I am supposed to find a way to fit my 1 gig card into the adapter which is half the size... I find no threads online about this, so either I am missing something painfully obvious or this is a bad packaging mistake. Please help! -Z

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information