Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GameStop Retail Stores Update All Used PSPs

Default GameStop Retail Stores Update All Used PSPs

Earlier this year in June I purchased a used PSP from GameStop for my girlfriend. It was a 2.01 and after downgrading and purchasing a memory stick it was the perfect gift item (she loves video games).

Today I went with my friend to two local GameStop retails stores looking for a used PSP to have some fun with. Being not allowed to examine them at one store, we tried looking at the other GameStop only to discover from the manager that it's now GameStop policy to UPDATE all the used PSP console systems when refurbishing them. All GameStop stores are doing this now.

It's time to act. If you want anything worth having in the PSP world, now is the time to go out and get it. Try looking wherever you can, because the days of the used PSPs--and original PSP motherboards--are numbered.

God Damn Gamestop! :P

DCEmu Legend

Wow **** them... I went into return my first PSP for dead pixels under an EB Games product warranty (NOW owned by Gamestop ) and the person behind the counter was more than happy to open the box for me and show me that it was a version 1.5.

Now it seems like the only place to get a downgradeable PSP, is EBay, or from someone you know, and EBay is quite unreliable when it come to stuff like that. D:

Hey guys, I'm a manager at EB Games, which is owned by GameStop and thus has all the same policies/practices. I can tell you this is NOT true. A used PSP comes in, we test it out, clean it up, and box it up. No updating.

DCEmu Legend

psp

Quote Originally Posted by WermerSkoch View Post
    Hey guys, I'm a manager at EB Games, which is owned by GameStop and thus has all the same policies/practices. I can tell you this is NOT true. A used PSP comes in, we test it out, clean it up, and box it up. No updating.
    I really hope that is true because I was about to boycott gamestop/EB. I find it unacceptable that you cannot try out a used system in the store before purchasing. They better not ever pull anything like that with me.

Quote Originally Posted by WermerSkoch View Post
    Oh, alright. That's cool, but I don't tell lies. I was told this was truth and I'm sticking by it.
    Also for further reference, while purchasing my girlfriend's PSP, I tested out BRICKED PSPs. Out of 20 or so used ones I found 3 or 4 that were bricked. What's with that?

DCEmu Newbie

I can verify the whole GameStop upgrade deal. I went on a hunt for a replacement 1.5 psp, and all of the gamestops were jerks, and wouldn't even let me touch the psp's unless I bought one. I went to the EB games I bought the psp from, and the guy was more than willing to hook me up. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, the guys at EB games are much nicer, and willing to let me test them before I buy.

I bought my DC preowned about 6 years ago from Babages (now called GameStop over here). I took it home and the gdrom dried was messed up. I took it back and brought home another preowned DC. It has a bad power supply (it popped and i could smell ozone). I took it back and asked if they would test to make sure that the DC worked. They went through about 3 more DC's they OBVIOUSLY DIDNT TEST AND WERE WILLING TO SELL TO ME and nervously handed me one that worked. With it I bought a completely full VMU and two completely scratched up games one that I couldnt actually play.

That is only 1 horror story I had with that place

I have purchased dozens of PSX games from Babages (now gamestop as of like '00) since '98 that i have had to take back.

They sold me the famed 1.0 xbox that eventually had a similar sizzling ozone effect as the DC when i took it home a plugged it in.

They tried to sell me Star Wars rouge squadron for N64. The cartridge part was actually cracked and bent on the bottem (i caught it before i left the store.)

Why did i keep going back? ridiculously low prices for used goods and I more often then not got good results with them so why am i saying all this?

THE POINT: It is highly unlikely that they would take the time to update all the psp's as they dont do $#@! in testing the machines they buy and are more than happy to sell stuff to people. Gamestop people (not the babages people that i remember) are often ****ing morons that will tell you any game is good and will do their best to rip you off and convince you that spending 10 dollars to reserve a game that you certainly will have no problems finding.

DCEmu Rookie

Lol....what bull$#@!. I know the managers at all gamestops/ebs in the area and this is not a policy that is company wide. Only in select areas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information