Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCEA comes clean over PSP website

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

psp SCEA comes clean over PSP website

Admits to being "busted" by eagle-eyed Internet users

Sony Computer Entertainment America has admitted that a blog purporting to be the work of real life PSP fans was in fact part of a marketing campaign designed to promote the handheld in the run-up to Christmas.

The site, alliwantforxmasisapsp.com, appeared to be have been designed by two friends and featured downloadable PSP greetings cards and t-shirt transfers. It also hosted a video showing "Cousin Pete" rapping about the handheld, which has since been removed from both the site and from YouTube.

"Consider us your own personal psp hype machine, here to help you wage a holiday assault on ur parents, girl, granny, boss - whoever - so they know what you really want," a message on the site read.

However, visitors to the site became suspicious and discovered that it had been registered by marketing company Zipatoni which, according to its own website, offers "integrated multimedia marketing initiatives".

Zipatoni's site lists SCE as a client, and featured a picture (also now removed) of an employee who bears a striking resemblance to a man posing in a home-made PSP t-shirt on alliwantforxmasisapsp.com.

As a result the blog was flooded with complaints from critics exposing its true origins. They have since been removed, along with the video, and the welcome message has been replaced with the following message, credited to Sony Computer Entertainment America: "Busted. Nailed. Snagged. As many of you have figured out (maybe our speech was a little too funky fresh???), Peter isn't a real hip-hop maven and this site was actually developed by Sony.

"Guess we were trying to be just a little too clever. From this point forward, we will just stick to making cool products, and use this site to give you nothing but the facts on the PSP."

It seems likely that Sony will need to take more care with its guerrilla marketing campaigns in the future - and not just to avoid a backlash from consumers.

According to the Washington Post, the Federal Trade Commission has warned companies "engaging in word-of-mouth marketing" that they must disclose details of who is endorsing the product. A failure to do so, the FTC said, could be seen as deceptive.

gameindustry

It makes you think, What else has Sony done to pimp their stuff to us? Is it inconcievable to say someone from SCEA has signed up as, say a forum member, and fed us their pro-Sony Propaganda?

'trying to be just a little too clever'???

More 'trying to be clever, but instead looking stupid'.

Meh. Live and learn?

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by dejkirkby View Post
    It makes you think, What else has Sony done to pimp their stuff to us? Is it inconcievable to say someone from SCEA has signed up as, say a forum member, and fed us their pro-Sony Propaganda?
    That would be a very high possibility, but I bet a crap load of large companies do that very thing.

I'm amazed at how stupid the people making that site were. I mean, putting a pick of yourself up on a site that is bull$***, that is listed on your companies site, and even putting your name on the registration of the domain is so stupid, its like they wanted to be caught. Negative publicity is publicity!

DCEmu Old Pro The_Ultimate_Eggman's Avatar

$$$$ONY been devious and under handed ??? never.

DCEmu Legend

psp So what!

This is gorilla & viral marketing at its most basic.

I guess its sort of like the Microsoft / Halo - ILOVEBEES viral campaign.

What is so wrong with this type of marketing ploy?

So SONY got caught out. Every smart company has "human intelligence" operatives. It sounds devious but its smart business. Its entirely probably that a few SONY reps are members of this or other popular PSP sites. They may post cleverly or they may just troll the forums without posting gathering "human intelligence".

I am pretty sure SONY has learned a lot from PSP homebrew.

Think about it, what can make the PSP more enjoyable than SONY can? HOMEBREW!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am pretty sure quite a few SONY employees have their PSP loaded up with homebrew. Either in secret for their own enjoyment or for "research" on how to combat it in future firmware upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am pretty sure quite a few SONY employees have their PSP loaded up with homebrew. Either in secret for their own enjoyment or for "research" on how to combat it in future firmware upgrades.
    Oh, I'm sure of that. Remember back to the Lik-Sang fiasco. Sony's own CEO in Europe bought import products through Lik-Sang. I'm certain they are using homebrew on their personal PSPs. They're not morons. Wait, they are morons, they're just not dribbling idio.... Well, they know a good thing when they se...... Everyone likes homebrew!

Oh, and just in case a Sony employee is reading:
    You stupid jerks! I just bought the GPS receiver and then 2 days later you released the map software. That in itself it not bad, it's great. The stupid part is that the software comes with a GPS unit and it costs $100! Now I can't buy the map software since I already have the GPS unit and there's no way I'm going to buy 2!! Pricks!

DCEmu Regular

Thats sony for ya...

I really think that they would actually make more money and sell more PSP's if they endorsed Homebrew...
    Obviously not the ISO Illegal parts of it.
    They could concentrate all their efforts on that one part, not stopping homebrew all toghether...
    What do yall think?

Its really laughable isn't it ? Ah well . . . keep it up $ony . . . crap marketing = good laughs

Click on the sig above to visit The Playground

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information