Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better than Nostradamus: PSP Fanboy's totally accurate 2006 predictions

Blog Entries

psp Better than Nostradamus: PSP Fanboy's totally accurate 2006 predictions

Via PSPFanboy

This might creep you out. Or not. Back in January, Ed wrote up a list of five predictions he had for the PSP for the year 2006. How many did he get right? You may be surprised. Let's take a look:

PSP Prediction #1: The UMD movie market will collapse. "It will continue to be priced too high and include the bare minimum in terms of value add (we should have predicted this for 2005)... Inventories will rise, prices will plummet and new content being delivered on the format will level off to something more sustainable by the market."
    Andrew comments: Ed hit this right on the head. UMDs were never priced the way they should've, and consumers responded. UMD continues Sony's line of producing unsuccessful media formats. Is Blu-Ray next?

PSP Prediction #2: The PSP will take on some very specific colors. "Count on at least two new colors, including a hot-rod red and a camo green, possibly marketed with or around the likes of, oh, let's say Gran Turismo 4 and Metal Gear Solid."
    Andrew comments: While the US market continues to be ignored, Sony has released a number of colors in international markets. Scarily, like the camo green PSP... for Metal Gear Solid. However, to think Gran Turismo 4 would ever come out was silly!

PSP Prediction #3: The PSP will allow you to access your PS3 from anywhere. "You'll be able to access PSP content content that is stored on your PS3's HDD (media, game saves, whatever) by accessing it via the PSP over a wifi Internet connection... You won't be streaming PS3 games or anything like that, but who needs memory sticks now?"
    Andrew comments: Wow. Great job predicting a feature months before its ever announced. Remote Play support does allow you to access your PS3's hard drive in almost the exact same way Ed mentioned. However, you won't be able to access it "from anywhere" until next year.

PSP Prediction #4: The PSP will get a price drop and then some. "Yeah, this one is a bit of a no-brainer, but we wanted to get at least 1 out of 5 right. The PSP will certainly see a price drop this year (likely sometime in the Fall, but possibly at E3). We expect the drop to be in the $50 dollar range."
    Andrew comments: The "no-brainer" proves to be the only prediction to not come true. Sony shed $50 by going Core, but that isn't a price drop, persay. Ed predicted free goodies to be given away with every system, but Sony proves with its Entertainment Pack that it wants you to pay for bad pack-in UMD movies.

PSP Prediction #5: Sony will completely botch PSP advertising in 06.
    Andrew comments: Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

How will PSP Fanboy fare with our 2007 predictions? You'll have to come back in a few weeks when we unveil them!

of all fairness... they are not toally mind boggling predictions. Anyone could have pulled these out of their ass I believe.

Click on the sig above to visit The Playground

DCEmu Rookie

Much like Nostradamus, these predictions are vague and quite easily "guessable". I will be honest, I had similar ideas of at least 3/5 of these, and the other 2 sorta were obvious. Anyway, I expect people to be more rude than I am about this, so I will try to be nice-- Thanks for your predictions, and thanks for showing us the outcome of predictions, its always nice to see a follow up!

,Hawk

prediction #3 was predictable, everybody knew that, heck i even knew that back in summer 2005

DCEmu Rookie

My prediction for 2007...

The PSP™ Market itself will collapse.
    Can S0NYŽ manage to save what ever might be left by releaseing a PSP˛™ System?

Stay Tooned!!

Im gonna' go out on a limb and say that the PSP market will do better in the coming year.

What with new PS3 connectivity... PS3 European launch, A new libary of PS3 games which will hopefully compliment the PSP . . . 2 new final fantasy games for PSP (u know how the fanboys go ape$#@! for this kinda thing) . . I do believe PSP has another good year in it

Yes.. this may also sound like wishful thinking.. I know.

Then again... I have so much great titles and apps from the Homebrew scene to do me a lifetime !

Click on the sig above to visit The Playground

DCEmu Rookie

Default Goes to....

Youve got PS3,Wii,XBox360,PSP...and the winner is...DS.:rofl:

DCEmu Rookie

Well, we can say that as homebrew gets better, PSP's sell more. Now, that doesn't necessarily translate into more sales for Sony (since most are bought used). But the new devhook releases that work with 3.02 UMD's definitely help sell SOME new games. I would wager that the PSP will ride about where it is, given the pitfalls Sony has found itself in (with bad advertising, silly viral marketing, etc).

I would wager that the effects felt in the PSP market will not be as large as some people predict ^^. But most likely will be larger than the current market.

Hmm well maybe you could guess it. I dont exactly get this, is this important?

I predict that:

1. Sony Markets of PSP and PS3 will be better in 2007 especially after summer 2007

2. UMD movie format is practically dead, though it will have some sales due to some advertisments(i.e. Free movie per purchase) if something like that happens.

3. Blu-Ray will take a hit, but since laptops and other devices such as a blu-ray player/dvd players from sony will help the sales for Blu-Ray to be better shape than PSP UMD.

4. More PSP Games will sell thanks to more companies releasing better games (i.e. Final Fantasy VII CC and Final Fantasy Tactics Remake)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information