Thread: Cave Story / Doukutsu Monogatari (Freeware Japanese game w/ English fan translation)

DCEmu Newbie

Default Cave Story / Doukutsu Monogatari (Freeware Japanese game w/ English fan translation)

Again, this is a situation where the source isn't readily available. Though, it seems someone other than the original author of the game did a Mac port -- and it seems the game's creator was cooperative with the folks who made the English patch for it, according to this forum post from an Aeon Genesis member (is that poster actually Gideon Zhi?) -- so if you ask about wanting to do a Dreamcast port, you might be able to get somewhere. [Whether you'd be able to directly ask the person in English or might need to go through a translator -- there, I'm not certain.]

Now, if you haven't played the game yet, do yourself a favor and get it -- it's all freeware.

Aeon Genesis' Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari) Page
    (After you click on the "Download the Game" link, click on the first link to download the game. The second link is a program to listen to the game's music.)

It's a light-hearted Metroid-style game with a cool story (one where you're uncovering the story's background as you go along), accompanied by characters that have a good deal of, well, character to them. And, this game has some well-polished action that starts easy enough and eventually gets to be wonderfully frantic. There are different kinds of weapons that you'll come across, and there's even a level-up system with your weapons, akin to Blaster Master. [In this game, it takes a little more to level up your weapons -- though, similarly, this game is more forgiving for when you get hit.]

Sure, you might think the game resolution is comparatively low and the sprites may be small -- but like in Bangai-O, the small sprites allow for comparatively large bosses later on. The music instruments might seem basic -- but the music is actually overall well done, and it fits quite well with the game.

The game has multiple endings and lots of secrets. One run-through of the game might take you about five hours -- though the game is actually good for several run-throughs.

And, for those of you who might be interested in contacting the author to see if he'd be willing for a port -- this game just might work well with the Dreamcast. [I recognize there's more than just these considerations -- but I'll mention these at least.]

- The game is about 4.3 MB (at least the Windows version is), so with regards to storing and using data, there hopefully won't be RAM concerns.

- The Dreamcast has just enough buttons for the game (and if I might give suggestions) -- shoot (X), jump (A), inventory (Y or B), map (B or Y), previous weapon (L), next weapon(R), and pause/restart/quit (Start).

- It even seems convenient for the VMU -- the save file is only 1540 bytes (and the config file is another 148 bytes), so it would only take a few blocks as a VMU file. Heck, because the sprites are small (16x16), you could even use the main character (or another one of the characters) as the VMU save icon. [The graphics files are all there in the data directory as *.PBM files (they're just renamed BMP files).]

It seems the game has developed a cult following: among the several forums with threads dedicated to it, there's also a dedicated Japanese Oekaki board for it (which has had a few hundred pictures, unfortunately not all archived) and a Japanese site with fan multimedia, which includes time attacks of game sections (along with other crazy videos), fan music remixes, and the like. (It seems several of the older files have been cleared out there too, though.) And those are just a couple of the sites out there.

So if you succeed in getting the source and following through with a Dreamcast port, it most likely wouldn't go unnoticed.

DCEmu Newbie

this game is pure gameplay! it looks nice
    a great game to port to DC anyday

DCEmu Newbie

Arrow

Hello,

i love this game,too. So i made a little fanpage.
    If someone else wants to help me with this (hints, infos and more) post it there !!

would be cool

links to this site: http://cave.rocks.it and http://kickme.to/cavestory

Thread Information