Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP- universal DC sgetec stick mod

Default HELP- universal DC agetec stick mod

SO here's what I'm doing...

I got a SEGA/AGETEC DC arcade stick and I'm modding it to work with all my consoles. TO do this, I wired each button and a ground to a vga port, and did the same thing to my controllers for other consoles.

So for each button in the stick, there is a wire comming from where's its connected to the board, and this runs to a pin in the vga connector.

I did the EXACT same thing with a saturn pad and wired each solder point to the matching vga connector. When I was done, I connected the two ports with a vga cable, and plugged in the saturn controller which is now connected to the arcade stick to see how it goes.

Nothing happened...

none of the wires are touching, everything is properly grounded, both controller work on their own....so what's the deal? I've double checked everything to make sure, there just must be an error in my logic.

Anyone got some ideas?

thanks,

Kingbuzzo.

DCEmu Coder

Maybe the switches of one of the two pads don't tie to ground but power.
    You should check the tensions you've got on switches, pressed or not.
    Check if there's some pullups/pulldown (connect an ampmeter to the switches pins).
    When you know exactly how each pad works, you should be able to make it work.

Maybe the switches of one of the two pads don't tie to ground but power.
    But this wouldn't matter would it? as whatever they connect to would be running through the +5V or ground. attached to the VGA?
    The only thing I can think of is you've fried something on the saturn pad when you were soldering, i did this mod using a PS1 arcade pad and it worked fine with a NES and SNES pad.

Have you tried doing it with a differant saturn pad or maybe a differant console? eg. NES or SNES.

Ya, the saturn pad is officially fried. Good thing it was only the UFO model one . And what do you mean by the 5v+? There's a wire that connects that every single button and is the only extra one that connects to the board of the arcade stick. I'd assume that this is the ground. So any voltage at all should be coming from the actual DC connector cord and not anywhere near my microswitches-->VGA rig.

Started from scratch this time. going alright so far, I bough a multimeter and I now have clear signal coming from the wires to the vga port and through to the end of the vga cable. Now it's just a matter of....everything else..

one thing that's a real bitch is soldering to the freakin buttons on the saturn pad.

many guides mention putting in a hold where the button is and soldering into it, but you'd really need a very fine drill to pull this off cause those circuit boards snap very easily.

Might be a better idea to get a bunch of cicuit boards from a buch of console, and just put em all in a box so I don't have to worry about carrying around a bunch of controllers. I could even put them into something amusic like a toaster, or an oven mit.... or cat!

woohoo!

so far so good.

I noticed that there are two ground points on the pcb in the dreamcast stick. One is where the buttons connect to the pcb, and the other is where the stick connects. I figure I'll solder to both points, connect the wires, and just use one pin as the ground in the vga port.

now I just have to find the ground on this beast.

Jup, that's the pcb for a wireless saturn pad. See that little black blob? I was hoping to find a chip I could solder to, but now I have to solder to the buttons somehow and then find the ground =/

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

King.

And what do you mean by the 5v+?
    semicolo, suggested that possibly the pins in one of the pads connected to power (eg. +5V) not ground i was saying that that wouldnt matter as your not using the circuitry from the pad only the buttons, but that could make a differance if the saturn pad used power rather than ground anywhere although that is very unlikely.

Yeah i hate those black blobs, its a cheap way of covering chips but makes reverse engineering much harder.

Find ground? please tell me your joking - maybe ive misunderstood you.

Ground will be what all the button pads connect to, you should notice it - if you have trouble finding ground on a circuit im amazed you got this far. If you mean find ground on that pic of the saturn pad, i can see at least two points.

The pics of the arcade stick look good, the VGA port fits in well.

Well I'm not used to reading pcb's at all :P I was able to find the ground on the ufo saturn pad just fine, but I can't seem to find it on this pad =/

would you mind pointing it out to me? I'm still very green...

thanks,

Kingbuzzo.

To the right and just below the black blob, you see the big patch of shiny green, theres ground, you can tell because it links all the buttons together, when the button is pressed it lets ground through to the chip.

To solder on, use a knife or flathead screw driver and sc$#@! some of the green coating away to show some copper and solder on to that, if you want to make a more secure join and there's nothing on the other side then make a patch of copper visible and then drill a very small hole through the visible copper and pass the wire through the back and solder it onto the copper patch.

well I'd love to begin working on hooking this up to the saturn and psc pads...but for some reason... whenever I solder to the directional points, the dc will only accept directions down and right from the stick....wtf!!!11

it all works when I detatch the wires from the pcb though. I used my multimeter, and found that each wire is totally separated from each other. I just can't understand it.

any one know what this might be?

thanks,

King.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information