Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Japan thinks of the PSP and DS battle

Blog Entries

psp What Japan thinks of the PSP and DS battle

via pspfanboy

Not even a Sony fanboy can avoid admitting that the Nintendo DS is selling at a much brisker pace than the PSP. Regardless of our second place position, I still find it interesting to see what Japan thinks of our favorite handheld machine. "What Japan Thinks" has a report from over 7000 Japanese individuals on their gaming habits. Here are some of the highlights:

Only 10.7% of people surveyed have a PSP, compared to Nintendo DS's 32.3%.
    14.7% of PSP owners use it every day. (Do you?)
    Although both the PSP and DS are portable, the number one place the system is played is at home: 94.2%. Personally, the subway is where I get most of my PSP playing done.
    Brain training games are easily the most popular kinds of handheld games, coming in at 54.6%
    A shocking number of people have not used any of PSP's non-gaming features: 43.1%
    25.2% of surveyed individuals want a PSP in the future, versus the DS's 59.4%.
    Only 20.3% of people want a PS3. Only 15% want a Wii. (But 17% want both.)

Make with these numbers what you will. While it may be easy to say that "PSP is t3h d00m3d!!1" I think that a 25% desirability rate is still very high. It's certainly higher than the number of people that wanted Gamecubes or Xboxes, both of which have lived fairly great console lives. Can Sony increase the PSP's desirability by focusing solely on games? Are you like the Japanese: do you not find value in PSP's non-gaming functionality?

DCEmu Newbie

I for one bought the PSP mainly for the gaming and the Tekken Title. But having those extra features packed in made me even more interested on the product as I can have more (although a true built-in camera would have perfected it). The PSP for me is truly a mobile multimedia device. I think Sony can get even more from the market if it finds a way to decrease the SRP of the PSP which for is the major factor affecting sales.

The PSP does come in at a rather large price point, but it does have a lot of functionality out of the box.
    I personnally think it is time to drop the price, but hey its not up to me so come on sony, stand up for your console.

I use it as an Mp3 player more than anything else really... and I've yet to even consider watching a video on it

King of killed the_eternal_dark's Avatar

Homebrew and Socom 1 and 2 (online) are my main uses for my PSP right now.

DCEmu Newbie

I feel ashamed I am the 14.7% of PSP owners use it every day

King of killed the_eternal_dark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfrainxd View Post
    I feel ashamed I am the 14.7% of PSP owners use it every day
    We all have jobs and school. :thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

i think one of the problems sony has here in Japan is that nintendo have succesfully aroused interest in the adult market with their "educational" titles, of most adult japanese i know, a surprisingly large number either own or are talking about DS,and are more likely to buy it for their kids. these are people who didnt give 2 hoots for the GBA.
    so the old divison of nintendo being for kids and sony being for young adults has shifted dramatically, certainly on the osaka subway DS is a much more common sight than PSP

and with the huge interest in Wii the ball really is back in the nintendo court these days.

its sonys fault, they really failed to make the most of the PSP`s potential multifunctionality, as well as trying to stamp out the homebrew scene,
    if they took a different approach like fostering and managing home developement, they could really have distinguished the psp as a true multi purpose machine in a way that DS never could be.

tbh I use my psp solely for
    -mp3
    -pimpstreamer
    -wifi controller

I also like to play tetris on nes and a few snes games here and there but really day to day, just those 3 things.

o yeah, and I put some music vids on it too.

i think ds is for simple people who want easy use and easy games
    psp instead is a multifunctional hyper complicated earthshattering device
    have you tried to install the new devhook
    try to explain this to a ds user
    and all you would see is or or or not or

it makes me wonder does paris hilton own a ds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information