The PC gaming market have nothing to fear over the impending launch of powerful next-gen consoles, the CEO of Crytek has said.
Speaking to CVG at E3, Yerli said that one change he expects to occur in the PC space is an evolution of business models to free-to-play - and the Crysis studio is trying to fuel the transition by offering 'Crysis quality' games for free.
"I think PC gaming should never fear. PC gaming is always going to be on the public's eyes," he said."The only thing that will happen is that PC gaming is going to change and adopt different business models - and we are trying to change it ourselves with high quality, premium free-to-play titles.
"There is absolutely no reason why gamers shouldn't get triple-A games for free. Absolutely no reason. But we're going to bite the bullet and do it. Somebody has to lead the way."
Yerli described Western devs' hesitation to adopt F2P for its traditional titles as "a typical industry problem."
He explained: "How can you justify 10-30 million in production going in to a game that people are going to play for free? There is no royalty calculation possible in traditional minds.
"What everybody needs to do is look at the Eastern world and how they make their royalty calculations and business plans, and literally bring that to the West, but apply the Western quality standards."
And that's what Crytek did, adds Yerli, and is now applying to its new free-to-play venturesWarface and its G-Face social platform.
"I went to Korea in 2006 and I was blown away by the way people play games - online, connection and social... that's their lifestyle. There are pro-gamers making more money that some sports guys.
"So in 2006 I saw the future. A Future with crappy quality at that point, but with games that were creating revenues and business models that were astonishing. So when I came back I said, 'I want that kind of business model in the Western world with the quality of a Crysis.'

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ys-crytek-ceo/