Thread: Top 20 XBLA titles purchased in 2006

Blog Entries

xbox 360 Top 20 XBLA titles purchased in 2006

via joystiq

Xbox Live's Major Nelson posted some interesting year-end numbers, including this ranking of 2006's top Xbox Live Arcade titles ranked in order of sales:

1 UNO
    2 Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting
    3 Geometry Wars Evolved
    4 Marble Blast Ultra
    5 PAC-MAN
    6 DOOM
    7 Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    8 GALAGA
    9 Gauntlet
    10 Frogger
    11 Bankshot Billiards 2
    12 SmashTV
    13 Contra
    14 Zuma
    15 Texas Hold 'em
    16 Bejeweled 2
    17 Feeding Frenzy
    18 Small Arms
    19 Cloning Clyde
    20 LUMINES LIVE!

A few comments:

1. Who the heck is purchasing Gauntlet? That game is broken! (Hitting "Y" on the controller is the same as inserting a quarter into the original arcade game, but it can be hit an unlimited number of times, making it equivalent to an "invincibility" button.) Gauntlet's place on this list demonstrates the power of nostalgia over gameplay when it comes to arcade titles. We suspect that Nintendo's virtual console is benefiting from the same misguided gamer nostalgia. Some old games just don't hold up.

2. Most (all?) annual Xbox Live Gold subscriptions sold in the retail box (the one with the cheapo headset) included a free game code to redeem Bankshot Billiards 2, making that $15 game's rank on this list suspect.

3. Feeding Frenzy would be higher on this list if there were a reason to pay for it. It feels like the demo mode lasts forever. It's quite satisfying to play without ever purchasing it.

4. Street Fighter II would have been number one on this list if a solid arcade joystiq had been released simultaneously with the game. First- and third-party peripheral manufacturers really blew an opportunity there.

I have from that list, Uno, Geometry Wars, Texas Hold 'em and Bejeweled. Geometry Wars is definatly the best imo, graphics and gameplay are both great.. I honestly don't see what all the hype about Uno is, its just a pretty looking version of a relativly boring card game...

2 games I would have expected up there are Wik: Fable Of Souls and Outpost Kaloki X. I find both great little games, lots of fun to play.

I really like Street Fighter II. I never played UNO :S

Thread Information