Thread: Plenty O PS3s But No Takers

Blog Entries

ps3 Plenty O PS3s But No Takers

via kotaku

Reports have been steadily trickling in since yesterday of stockpiles of Playstation 3s found sitting around in Best Buys untouched, or hardly touched.

Best Buy announced they would be selling a bunch of the consoles starting Sunday and according to several emailers, very few people took them up on their offer. Of course this is all anecdotally, so I'm not sure how widespread it is.

What I can tell you is that the Best Buy near my house had 31 Playstation 3s sitting in a lovely wall o' consoles this morning when I swung by the store. Many, if not all of them, were the 60GB model.

While taking pictures of the stack load of PS3s (and the nearby wall of Xbox 360s, twice the size) someone came buy and plucked one up. He happened to be right next to me when I was paying for my stuff and I heard him saying that the main reason he decided to get it was because it offered up games at 1080p and he wanted to see what it looked like on his plasma. It appeared he was also buying a Blu-ray movie and a copy of Madden for the system.

I can't help but wonder if this seeming lack of interest in the PS3 at Best Buys is because of a general post-holiday buying drought or something more about the system itself. It certainly doesn't look good, especially when coupled with the details were reported on last week about the PS3's grey market.

wow, thats different, it was so anticipated and then noone gets one. lol maybe its the holiday drought because ill tell ya, they are amazing. has everything i thought it would, and a little more. even though i have the 20 gig version

DCEmu Legend

Its not about the system. Walmarts, EBs and Gamestops near me get a handful of systems at a clip and they sell out within hours.

It must be that BestBuy that the reporter went to.

DCEmu Newbie

This really means nothing. Especially given the PS3's high price, the after-Christmas lull is in effect. They'll move steadily, but slowly now.

I hope that the same happens in the UK. Non of this preorder nonsense. Just walk in and buy one. That would be the best.
    -Xiofire

I just got back from best buy about 2 hours ago... they had about 4. I also went to target and i couldnt count how many they had. perhaps it has something to do with where i live and the price tag but it seems to me these reports are true.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n 1time View Post
    perhaps it has something to do with where i live and the price tag but it seems to me these reports are true.
    Thats probably it, seeing as theres a few just sitting around here

DCEmu Legend

Yeah because around me there aren't any sitting around. At least in the few stores I have been too, they have sold out within the same day as arrival.

20gb models are the ones that have had stuck around for a bit, but even those get sold.

DCEmu Regular

Well I live in Wilmington, NC and work in Jacksonville, NC. I went to almost every video game store in both cities and everyone had a bunch of ps3's just sitting there. Walmart, Target, Best Buy, EB, and Gamestop were all still sold out of the Wii. I'm guessing it's mainly still due to lack of funds for people after xmas. Well that and it costs 600 bucks to play video games. Glad I got my Wii at launch!

Let's hope we get a whole load of PS3s to the UK and then few people buy them when it hits the stores. Many chances to get one then. I wish I'd made off with one right now!

Thread Information