THQ president Jason Rubin has said games consoles are destined to move away from the fixed $60 boxed game and get closer to the 'PC model' of mixed-budget retail and digital sales.
"The way the industry has been set up with all titles selling for roughly the same price at retail next to each other is that there's been a race to make the biggest, baddest-ass game," he said."If you walk into a store as a gamer and see a massive $120 million dollar game next to a $30 million dollar game, and a $80 million marketing budget backed that $120 million game up, it's likely you're going to pull that one off the shelf," added Rubin in the Game Informer interview.
Later he said: "As time progresses, the entire industry will move closer to what we see in the PC model emerging now, which is a lot of different-sized games and different types of games that all get a place in the sun because you can buy things that aren't $60 boxed goods."
When asked what most excited him about the future for games, Rubin spoke of the industry broadening out. "What excites me is I think the business is going to broaden out. I think it's good for the industry and it's good for gamers, too. I don't think gamers realize how good opening up the rules so that game developers can distribute and price as they want and do whatever they want is," he said.
"At the end of the day, the gamer will determine what succeeds and fails because they're the ones with the dollars in the pocket."
Shareholders currently suing THQ for 'misleading' claims regarding its disastrously failed uDraw peripheral, after the tablet left THQ with around 1.4 million unsold units by February 2012, resulting in a revenue shortfall of around $100 million.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-pc-model-thq/