The last week was my first working week after my summer vacation, and I did not have much time to work on DS2x86 during the evenings. The extra project I worked on before my summer vacation also needed some additional work done, so that too decreased my free time. Thus I only got to work on DS2x86 this weekend, and there has not been much progress. I have managed to find the code that somehow sets up the page table with wrong values, and have been comparing the behaviour with that of DOSBox. The problem here is that the behaviour seems to differ quite a bit, and I'm not sure which differences are supposed to be there (as the memory organisation is slightly different between DOSBox and DS2x86) and which are symptoms of something going wrong. The problem is that it needs a huge amount of work to determine the cause of every single difference.
It is starting to feel like I would spend my time more productively trying to get some other software besides Windows 3.11 working in DS2x86. I will probably work on some games for a while before getting back to Windows 3.11 support. One game I would like to get working is Wing Commander Armada. It does need paging and is running the actual game in Virtual 86 mode, so it will need some of the same enhancements I have already done for Windows. I think I will spend the next couple of days trying to get it running. There are also other games that would need various fixes, and in any case it would be nice to be able to release a new version at some point!
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)