Thread: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax," switch to Blu-ray still possible

Blog Entries

xbox 360 Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax," switch to Blu-ray still possible

via joystiq

Speaking with Ars Technica, Microsoft Director of Platform Strategy Scott Henson explained that the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive would likely never be internalized into a future version of the console because "[we] don't want to charge customers $200 extra for something that may be the next Betamax." While Henson's frank remark is definitely a PR no-no (though it could easily be interpreted as a shot at Sony), it simply echoes the current state of uncertainty: No one knows which format, HD-DVD or Blu-ray, will prevail. Microsoft has clearly aligned itself and the Xbox 360 with HD-DVD, but it's left open the possibility of a Blu-ray switcheroo -- Peter Moore openly acknowledged as much during CES last year.

Early HD-DVD add-on adopters might eventually get burned (if the format fails), but this certainly won't affect all, if even a majority, of Xbox 360 owners. On the flip side, if Blu-ray flops, 100% of PlayStation 3 owners will feel the burn. Sony is still the bigger risk taker.

I guess I see where he is coming from since nothing is set in stone atm but people people probably start taking it out of context.

And to those who don't adopt early:

How the heck is something supposed to be finalized when you don't adopt early? 4 people could determine something like this if you apply this logic.

Edit: Wouldn't they only feel the burn when it comes to non Sony movieS? Evn though studios are not using UMD's for Movies Sony still is, so its logical Sony and their "underlings" would do the same. And I think Games would still use Blu Ray discs. If the PS3 has good sales wouldn't Blu Ray discs since it is the PS3's format.

Things look grim for HD-DVD since Sony owns a majority of Movie Studios and the format is not incorporated with the 360 for games and stuff. I think if Microsoft had chosen HD-DVD for their games it could have given HD-DVD a better chance. Either way im going for HD-DVD!

Thread Information