Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Look: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Blog Entries

Rev First Look: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

via gamepro

We just got back from a marathon gaming session, and Metroid was one of the most interesting titles that we played at Nintendo's super-secret, invite-only gaming session.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Definitely stole the the show. The graphics looked amazing -- better than Halo 2 on the Xbox without a doubt -- and the levels showed off sparkling details, proving the Wii is far more powerful than the Gamecube. Out of all the games we played, the Wii controller seemed most at home with Metroid.

You don't fire with your index finger, but with your thumb (using the A button). This sounds a little goofy, but in practice it worked very, very well. You could press the directional pad to fire rockets or enter your scanning mode, and the trigger (aka the B button) handled jumps very nicely. Samus has a few new moves that take advantage of the motion-sensitive controller. By locking onto a target and thrusting the left nunchuku forward, Samus could launch a grappling beam. The beam is similar to Half-Life 2's Gravity Gun, but was mostly used to push rubble out of the way, open grates, or in a nice touch, yank shields from enemy hands. The other major Wii functionality was that some control panels needed to be lifted, rotated, and pushed back into slots -- these movements were all handled on the Wii controller.

Aiming with the point-and-shoot controller felt very nice, though it took a few minutes to become truly comfortable. The experience was much like playing a PC first-person shooter, especially since the nunchucku analog stick controlled movement We found that standing roughly four feet from the TV provided the best motion, and the cursor stayed smooth and steady -- no shakiness! The frame rate was also smooth and consistent, even when the screen got crowded with special effects.

Metroid was probably the best Wii game on display. Wii can't wait to play more!

I bet that's one great game to play, especially when you get to move around with that Wiimote control!

Talking Ahh Metriod prime 3

First The news on dragon quest swords and now this.

is the wii not the best system to own, or what :thumbup:

WORDS CANT EXPRESS how dissapointed I am that this "new level" of Metroid gaming goodness isn't going to feature ONLINE PLAY.

What's to get exited about???

May as well just stick with my prime one and echoes.

And oh great everyone get exited about the virtual console- we getting mario kart, oh great NOT
    Where's the ONLINE super mario kart? Same with other games, like street fighter II and bomberman. They're just being lazy because the service is free.

My bro has Contra on his xbox 360 he downloaded from marketplace, and its online enabled meaning you can play 2 player with someone else around the world.

Comon Nintendo, stop being lazy now it's starting to annoy me!!!

That said, me and my bro weren't even in the slightest tempted to sell our UK Wii's we got on launch day for any amount of money on ebay!

DCEmu Newbie

Agreed, how can they releae this without online play? Very very shortsighted IMHO. Also agree with enabling virtual console games for online. Wouldn't it be great to play Mario Kart 64 online!

I agree that prime should have online play, but the idea of VC games was to play them exactly how they where played years ago. If they where to add online multiplayer into VC games they would have to change the menus in games so they support online play and they wouldnt look so classic anymore.

-!-
    /\

Actually the game is being delayed so much. That infact that "Rare" have enough time to develop the multiplayer and improve the graphics.

Ideally,

The Multiplayer should be done by the same people who did "MP:H on DS" (It's not Rare)

The Single Player should be done by Rare.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
    Actually the game is being delayed so much. That infact that "Rare" have enough time to develop the multiplayer and improve the graphics.

Ideally,

The Multiplayer should be done by the same people who did "MP:H on DS" (It's not Rare)

The Single Player should be done by Rare.
    Metroid Prime isn't a Rare game.

Sounds great. I cant wait to play it.. as much as I like puzzles and stuff im kind of hoping for a more Halo style adventure. Zelda has me kind of burned out in the adventure puzzle genre.

Also to everyone bitchin' about Mario Kart online.. Project64k? (Well ok, I know its not the same)

Actually the game is being delayed so much. That infact that "Retro" have enough time to develop the multiplayer and improve the graphics.

Ideally,

The Multiplayer should be done by the same people who did "MP:H on DS" (It's not Retro)

The Single Player should be done by Retro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information