Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: UnOfficial? gpSP kai jp 2.9 - GBA Emulator for PSP

QJ *cough, bad taste in the mouth just then* has took this release off their site, and made a newspost about taking it off.

Click on the sig above to visit The Playground

DCEmu Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    QJ *cough, bad taste in the mouth just then* has took this release off their site, and made a newspost about taking it off.
    Hooray!

OK, I've just gone and checked the source package for gPSP 0.8 (upon which this is based). If you look under copying.doc you will find that Exophase has licensed the source code under the GNU General Public License.

This means that Takka's release is ENTIRELY LEGITIMATE. The only condition he needs to adhere to is that he must also release the source code to his derivative work WHICH HE HAS DONE.

So why the hell did they take it down, hmm? Does no one understand about open source software around here?

ETA: I should define "here" as the general PSP homebrew "scene" including dcemu and QJ.

Quote Originally Posted by SpooForBrains View Post
    Exophase has licensed the source code under the GNU General Public License.

This means that Takka's release is ENTIRELY LEGITIMATE. The only condition he needs to adhere to is that he must also release the source code to his derivative work WHICH HE HAS DONE.
    Exactly!!

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by theshadowrunner View Post
    i like Takka's release.
    For instance we can define a default ROM folder and gpsp will open it by default and all sorts of small tweaks.
    Besides i don't understand something, if Exo doesn't want any unofficial versions, why does he release the source?
    Later,

TSR
    I actually asked him that in a previous thread, but he said I was too stupid to understand his reasons

DCEmu Newbie

I just want to add on free software, and what I think is the reason why Exo doesn't like Takka's work.

Usually, in an open source software development, there is a common directory ( CVS or SVN for example ) these directories keep older versions of files in memory and can provide the differences between two version of the same file.

Normally, when a second developer wants to help, such a directory is made and it can be split up into multiple projects for example. An official project and a more experimental one. When good ideas emerge from one, it can be incorporated into the official project.

Also, in bigger projects, devs will usually modify the files that are on the CVS/SVN, and then a kind of moderator of the source code, will decide if the work is good and of enough quality for the project and add the code to the official project.

I'm sure Exo would have preferred an approach like this, where everyone can work on the same project and where all the work done can be incorporated in a quality project with a single official release. While the other releases are still available on the project's website but only in source code form ( sometimes binaries too ), for the testers and other devs, or the more adventurous user. While only the official quality work is offered upfront to the general users of the software.

This is not what we are seeing, we are seeing Takka modifying the code of Exophase ( this is all fair ) and releasing it as a modified version's of Exophase's work ( this is kinda fair ), but without making it easy for Exophase to add the changes ( if they are of enough quality ) to the official project. Thus, creating a competition between the two release.

The problem here is the lack of cooperation between Takka and Exo, the big open-source softwares were not made out of competition, they were made from cooperation.

This is my take on the issue and I'm pretty sure this is how Exophase feels and I hope it might help some understand some reasons behind this.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    I actually asked him that in a previous thread, but he said I was too stupid to understand his reasons
    You know, you really have a lot of nerve. I happened to post several lengthy posts explaining myself, to which you replied "that's nice" and basically ignored them. And now you come around saying things like this.

Troll.

I actually did say that Takka could release a version that was nothing more than a Japanese translation, in interest of accessibility (and obviously that wouldn't cause any confusion, and would clearly be an alternative release), and of course he runs off with that and loads a bunch of crap in it and releases that. I don't know what the point is in asking me to release a translation if he's just going to release whatever the hell he wants anyway, like usual.

I'm sure everyone will be much better off now that they have underscores in their savestate filenames (that's definitely worth making everyone change the names manually for) and I'm sure the people who kept complaining about busted analog will be glad he added it BACK to the menu. I'm referring to this:

# Adding the operation with the analog key at the time of the menu

It was originally like this, I removed it so that people would actually be able to turn analog off if it didn't work for them, without fighting the menu.

But I should be thanking Takka for fixing what must be my mistakes, again.

I'm tired of this, I'm not going to even waste my time looking at the source anymore. I didn't want it to come to this, I wanted him to WORK with me, but obviously he's incapable of this, and of course I'm the bad guy so yeah.

I know that if I quit the project now I'm just going to get flamed to hell but I'm not sure if I care anymore.

It you did decide to quit Exophase, you wouldn't be flamed here. But, a lot of people wait eagerly for a release from you. To be honest, this is one of the better homebrew releases and updates will be missed. Please don't quit this project.

I wouldnt get upset about it Exo. 90% of the scene use gPSP 0.9 Official release anyways, and 100% know that the work in unofficial versions is your work aswell along with minor tweaks that some people dont even use or dont want.
    No one will flame you here man, and your work is much appreciated.

Click on the sig above to visit The Playground

Exophase: Thanks for a great emulator, i first discovered it at gpsp 08 and was quite happy with it until you released v0.9
    Your work is greatly appreciated and there are many paople who wouldnt even look at this thread, apart from to see your responce to another pointless Takka update, heck its not even an update, just a way of getting his name onto a good project.Please keep up the good work exo, but if you dont, thanks for what you have done

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information