The newly resurrected Black Isle Studios intends to make triple-A role-playing games based on Interplay's intellectual property, it's said.Yesterday a Black Isle Studios website, Facebook page and Twitter page emerged, declaring the studio, famed for its ground-breaking late nineties and early 2000s role-playing games, including Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and Planescape: Torment.Black Isle Studios is owned by Interplay, which has been quiet since late last year, when it settled with Bethesda over the in-development Fallout MMO, Fallout Online. Under the terms of the agreement, Bethesda obtained the rights to make and publish the Fallout MMO in exchange for an undisclosed fee.Now, Interplay is back, and it hopes to use the Black Isle resurrection as a way to attract "the best talent".Interplay boss Herve Caen said: "It really feels like getting the band back together as we're seeing opportunities not available to us before. Given our unique position, expanding online and mobile platforms, and renewed interest in our proven properties, I see an incredible success potential for Black Isle Studios."Caen's "getting the band back together" comment seems strange given many of the key staff from Black Isle's glory days are not involved.Former Black Isle lead designer Chris Avellone told Eurogamer the new venture doesn't involve Fallout: New Vegas maker Obsidian at all. "No idea what it's about," he said. "I wasn't aware anything beyond the name was left at Interplay."And Black Isle's return was news to Interplay founder Brian Fargo, too: "I just read that Interplay is bringing back Black Isle. Hmmm... Not enough info for me to comment," he tweeted.Most, if not all, of the people responsible for the games Black Isle became famous for have moved on. Black Isle founder Feargus Urquhart went on to found Obsidian Entertainment, and took many old Black Isle staff with him - Chris Avellone included.Black Isle's plans, for now, remain a mystery.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-interplays-ip