via Video Gamer

The Wii U version of Ghost Recon Online has been put "on hold", Ubisoft has confirmed.

Talking to VideoGamer.com earlier today, Ghost Recon Online's producer Theo Sanders revealed that development of the Wii U version had ceased to offer the team the opportunity to focus "completely on the PC version".

"As of right now, the entire Ghost Recon team is focused on the PC version only," Sanders revealed. "The Wii U version is on hold.

"If in the future we have an opportunity to address it again, we'll make future announcements. But as of right now we're focused completely on the PC version."
The decision to cease development of the Wii U version was not made in reaction to Nintendo's online plans for the console, Sanders added.

"It's not a reaction to anything specific happening to [Wii U]," he continued. "It was a really fun, cool platform to develop for. But you realise once you launch an online service that it's an all-consuming effort, so we really wanted to have all hands on deck. It was the same dev team working on both SKUs, and [we] really wanted to focus on doing the PC version right.

"I'm not really in a position to talk about the Wii U, but our particular choice for Ghost Recon Online was purely based on the fact that we had one dev team working on both SKUs and it was an all-consuming effort with the PC launch. It's tough launching an online game."
The Wii U version of Ghost Recon Online had been in development at Ubisoft Shanghai in tandem with the PC version.

The game was announced for Wii U during Nintendo's E3 conference last year.

However, the game could potentially see a release on consoles in the future, Sanders revealed.

"It's hard to say how the future will go for Ghost Recon Online," he continued. "I think in the future as different platforms evolve towards service models and towards being really online-driven, community-driven platforms, then we'll definitely be looking at what our options are.

"I think it's one of the strengths of the PC platform and I believe it's something that all console manufacturers understand to be a strength of the PC platform, and will definitely be looking for interesting and innovative ways to bring their own experiences to."
An open beta for Ghost Recon Online launched on PC last month.

Wii U is due to launch this holiday.