Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sega Plans to Stop GD-ROM Production 02/2007 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    On another note:

This is another rumor. Dreamcast is made to read both formats - just like your DVD player. Homebrew does in no way affect the GD-ROM drive's lifespan.

So even if this whole thing would be true, SEGA could use common cds for NAOMI and Dreamcast. Remember that NAOMI even allows storing the game data on ROMs!

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/commu...ic.php?p=10145

The good thing about a petition is however, that we indeed would show we care about the future of Dreamcast / NAOMI.
    I heard CDR's mess it up in the long run, does that mean it will be ok to play bleem?

Hey I may be new to the DC scene. (Only having my DC for less than 6 months now.) After seeing what the DC is capable of, having such a great homebrew and hacking scene as well as some really nice commercial games. I will sign this petition and that way at least I know I tried to help the DC and keep it alive a little longer. (Commercial wise) Anyways I will hope for the best and maybe in the end Sega will change their mind when the see how many supporters they still have.

Dream Coder

Whoever's idea this was, it's just stupid. It's not like Sega doesn't know we're out here, and that's the only reason I can imagine to do this. There is absolutely NO WAY SEGA will discontinue the GD-Rom for another good 3-5 years. Not only do the DC and Naomi both use it (Naomi, Naomi 2, and Hikaru basically all the same thing) but the newer SEGA+other people systems use it too, like the Chihiro and Triforce (quite literally they use the same pyhsical drive the Naomi does in the form of an addon, which, as is key for arcade hardware, reinforces the concept of modularity of replacement[anyone needing a GD-Rom drive has to buy the same part]).

As for CDs ruining the DC's laser, that isn't exactly true. What happens is that since the motor has to move the laser more to read the same amount of info off a CD, it wears the motor out more. Most smart people dummy their CDs before burning them to help minimalize this.

I think the TriForce and Chihiro aren't going to be seeing many new releases...

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    Whoever's idea this was, it's just stupid. It's not like Sega doesn't know we're out here, and that's the only reason I can imagine to do this. There is absolutely NO WAY SEGA will discontinue the GD-Rom for another good 3-5 years. Not only do the DC and Naomi both use it (Naomi, Naomi 2, and Hikaru basically all the same thing) but the newer SEGA+other people systems use it too, like the Chihiro and Triforce (quite literally they use the same pyhsical drive the Naomi does in the form of an addon, which, as is key for arcade hardware, reinforces the concept of modularity of replacement[anyone needing a GD-Rom drive has to buy the same part]).

As for CDs ruining the DC's laser, that isn't exactly true. What happens is that since the motor has to move the laser more to read the same amount of info off a CD, it wears the motor out more. Most smart people dummy their CDs before burning them to help minimalize this.

How do you dummy? And what are the benefits?

DCEmu Newbie

OK, guys. Let's get this boat rocking. Go and help digg this, so it can make the front page: http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sega_to_...reamcast_alive

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Elven6 View Post
    How do you dummy? And what are the benefits?
    BootDreams || Info

Now back on topic.

DCEmu Newbie

I'm sending mine in Tommorrow. I want Dreamcast to still live and I hope we get a melty blood port also.

Same here, even if this news is false Sega will see the support it is getting and mabye create a few more ports or something.

ok , I finally know what's going on after talking to max. I'll repost what I said at DCS.

This is a bit difficult because staff at dcs cannot release the actual source of this info.

What we can say is that Max of DCS has some personal contacts with some "important" folks when it comes to gdroms. There may of one time been a large surplus of gdroms, but apparently production only happens when a game is to be released. This also isn't the first time sega was about to cease production. It was only after the plea of select dev teams (which we also don't have permission to mention yet) that gdrom production kept on going.

there have been some talk about dc and even naomi being able to use regular cd's instead. Though this is surely possible; Sega has made it clear to developers that they will not have anything besides their own patented format for licensed releases.

We will try to bring as much info as we can after some more conversations with our sources, but it seems to be a very delicate situation. Given how short of time we are; we just went straight ahead with the petition. Please understand.

thank you very much,

King.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information