Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Interfacing with PSP-290 GPS unit from Sony

DCEmu Newbie

HI! 1st post Alert!!!
    [i am a green psp noob, however i do have some experience with handheld devices, and am beginner/novice with electronics (meaning i can build stuff with instructions)]

this is such great timing!
    i Revel in what i have read of Deniska's determination! he/you are a PSP GURU of LEGEND!!

I'm going to start off by apologizing to Everyone.
    cuz, I am about to ask some rather dumb questions, these that i cant really seem to find answers for. please find it in your hearts to forgive me.

also, i dont have any hardware yet to do anything gps related with the psp. the reason for this post is to weigh my options about whether i should go the Deniska gps mouse method route or buy a jap psp-290 and follow this.

okay 'ere goes..

1st one is a 2 parter with a sub question:

1) will the psp-290, currently be recognized if connected to a standard usa psp, (without any hw modifications) or would i need a jap psp?

1a) if the psp-290 is currently being recognized while connected to a usa psp using whatever firmware, what is the biggest obstacle 'Currently' keeping it from working as well as the 'Deniska gps mouse method' interfacing with 'Deniska's home brew Gps software using Google maps'?

2) i would favor using the psp-290. since it's very small and attaches to the top. but, would it just be best to use the gps mouse method, instead of waiting for the possibility of a usa version psp-290 never coming ?

3) comparatively. -in the foresee-able future.- will could there be any big usage differences between the Deniska gps mouse method an this one you are working toward? for instance, does anyone think users will be able to do more with a usa psp-290, or will the only difference be asthetics?

4)if the jap psp-290 is working with usa psp's and the only thing keeping this from being capable of being used without hassle is time. who do i need to donate to, so that i may thank them for there kindly spent time?

thank you for your time.

The PSP-290 works on any region PSP...

Well... i think i'm gonna buy it, the only thing that was keeping me from buying it was the support from deniska app...

Quote Originally Posted by dpathic2001 View Post
    .....and donate to the DEV Cause I hope!

Is the PRX fix directly related to the fact that at an earlier stage the quality of the Sony Module was in question?

Great work!
    That's what he was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by gemjobim View Post

okay 'ere goes..

1st one is a 2 parter with a sub question:

1) will the psp-290, currently be recognized if connected to a standard usa psp, (without any hw modifications) or would i need a jap psp?

1a) if the psp-290 is currently being recognized while connected to a usa psp using whatever firmware, what is the biggest obstacle 'Currently' keeping it from working as well as the 'Deniska gps mouse method' interfacing with 'Deniska's home brew Gps software using Google maps'?

2) i would favor using the psp-290. since it's very small and attaches to the top. but, would it just be best to use the gps mouse method, instead of waiting for the possibility of a usa version psp-290 never coming ?

3) comparatively. -in the foresee-able future.- will could there be any big usage differences between the Deniska gps mouse method an this one you are working toward? for instance, does anyone think users will be able to do more with a usa psp-290, or will the only difference be asthetics?

4)if the jap psp-290 is working with usa psp's and the only thing keeping this from being capable of being used without hassle is time. who do i need to donate to, so that i may thank them for there kindly spent time?

thank you for your time.
    1> any psp is ok.
    1a> currently time
    2> usa usb gps may or may not come, but support for both is coming. the gps mouse has better reception though.
    3> see #2 and also, the usb gps can be used in officially licensed games that support gps.
    4> it's up to you.

sorry for this last part being so crappily typed. its dark and I'm about to goto sleep. later!

Awsome, was always gonna donate but have now!

No pressure for the Mapthis compatability tho! ;-p

Quote Originally Posted by Mew View Post
    oh myy gooooooooooooooooooooood!!
    amazing work!!
    as soon as your nice mapthis supports the GPS receiver from sony, I'll buy one :thumbup:
    Me too!

Awesome work man!

DCEmu Newbie

Just got my PSP-290 today and this being posted on the same day seems to say that something good is about to happen!

Thanks for the work guys! If you need another tester in the mid-Atlantic region of the US, let me know.

As for those asking about the "quality" of the PSP-290 unit.. it's amazingly small. I was able to pick up (and lock onto) 7 sats in the parking lot here at work. Not sure how that differs from my Garmin 60cs, but I'll test it tomorrow. My one wish at this point is that the PSP-290 had the thumb-screws at both ends and not just on one side, but that's just me.

ROCK ON!
    Knobee

DCEmu Rookie

Deniska, can you please run a comparison for satellite signal strength between your different GPS receivers?

I wonder which one provides the best reception...

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by l00t3r View Post
    Great work Deniska!

I've been using your mapping software since it came out and I really love all you do.

Would there be any chance of us seeing an usb port to the gpslim? or would it be completelly different from sony's gps unit...
    I ended up buying the gpslim hah.

and another thing when I upgraded to the new map this 0.4.6 it started giving me negative longitude... now I can't use my gps anymore

Anyways I wanted to congrat you for the huge progress !
    I doubt that it's going to be easy or possible at all to make gpsslim236 to connect to psp via usb.

about the lon problem.. well this is still a beta, so things like this are possible..
    Can you capture your gps data and attach gps.txt file to this thread?
    Where are you located?

DCEmu Newbie

good work. that exactly i wanted. thanks deniska. no more resistors, wires, soldering.

Quote Originally Posted by MIB.42 View Post
    Deniska, can you please run a comparison for satellite signal strength between your different GPS receivers?

I wonder which one provides the best reception...

Thank you!
    I can only compare PSP-290 and GPSlim236.
    GPSlim236 is more sensitive. It "sees" & locks on to more satelites and has much smaller "time to first fix" which is ~40 seconds..
    With Sony unit, it takes me 3-4 minutes to finally get the fix. Of course, it could be just my unit...

Actually, the usbgps driver has a metod to setup the initial location, which seems to take 0,1 or 2 as input.
    Perhaps setting a correct value can reduce time to first fix... If someone has time to test this theory, please experiment with the program (you can change the initial location with [O] & [SQUARE]

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information